Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uhh..? Computer problem =/

Hi dddc, belated Happy New Year, I hope you and yours are all well.

The load decides the power demand not the source. The power supply rating is the maximum sustained load the power supply can provide. You could put a 1000 watt power supply on there and nothing's going to happen unless you short something, then you could arc-weld.
    I agree entirely, except that I would prefer 3000w for arc-welding

I think the confusion might be that it is pretty difficult to find a PSU in micro ATX format that is more than 300w. I think the reason for that is that the form factor doesn't support expansion that would require more, so manufacturers don't make them?

EDIT:

And another thing, slightly off topic:

My desktop computer is about 8 years old, 567 Mhz 192MB RAM running Windows XP
    Not good IMO. A machine of that age will be using PC133 SDR at best.
    Last edited by nihil; January 7th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.

Yeh...I began to suspect the processor myself but there is absolutely no way of pinpointing what the problem is exactly anymore :-/ If I have to buy a processor I might as well re-build it with a faster one (and a socket better than 370) and a new MoBo.

What I will probably end up doing is buying a new MoBo and pray to god that is the problem.

BTW, yeah, I was very hesitant to switch to XP. So much so that I had Windows 98 for about 1-2 years after XP was out then switched to 2000 Professional for about a year until one day I connected my friends hard drive to my computer (with XP) and it ran smoothly so I upgraded. However, that computer isn't used for anything too strenuous. The most I did on it was Photoshop when I used it, when/if I fix it it'll be used to word processing mostly.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Raion
    Yeh...I began to suspect the processor myself but there is absolutely no way of pinpointing what the problem is exactly anymore :-/ If I have to buy a processor I might as well re-build it with a faster one (and a socket better than 370) and a new MoBo.

What I will probably end up doing is buying a new MoBo and pray to god that is the problem.
    If you are looking at a socket478, I'm your man!

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Ugh.

So I gave up on the computer due to a lack of time, took it to a computer repair shop and they concluded the same as we, that the MoBo needed to be replaced. Again, I didn't have time to do this so I bought a new desktop all together for ~$125 without a hard drive. The specs are fine for what my little sister will do on it.

But now I'm just frustrated still since I can't change the bootorder. For some reason it doesn't bypass the preceding devices (CD-ROM, Floppy, USB) and doesn't boot. When I go to the BIOS screen and go to Boot order there is literally no possible way to change it. I've pressed every possible key. Suggestions, ideas?

BTW, I booted Knoppix live CD, and it worked perfectly (as CD-Rom is the first in the boot order). I did this to make sure I connected the hard drive properly and it was being read properly as well. Which it is.

I also disconnected all USB devices to make sure that wasn't it...nothing. It simple stays at a black screen with a blinking underscore.

EDIT:
    Okay. I reset the CMOS battery and was able to reconfigure the boot order successfully (and the changes are saved) but I still get the same black screen with the blinking underscore......I'm CONFUSED.

The BIOS does detect the HD correctly so I didn't connect the IDE cable the wrong way...
    Last edited by Raion; January 10th, 2008 at 02:01 AM.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Raion
    EDIT:
    Okay. I reset the CMOS battery and was able to reconfigure the boot order successfully (and the changes are saved) but I still get the same black screen with the blinking underscore......I'm CONFUSED.

The BIOS does detect the HD correctly so I didn't connect the IDE cable the wrong way...
    Hmm...first of all what it the make/model of the MOBO, and what BIOS is it using? The only thing that I can think of is that the CMOS battery is dead, and is working like a TV remote control when you open up the casing and give the batteries a twist...it'll work for a few more clicks, but no more than a few. Does it get through all of the bootstrap (configuration, mem checks, etc.) and then freeze up at the blinker?

I'm leaning towards a dead CMOS battery. Not a huge deal, really.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Well, FINALLY.

Apparently the switch to the new MoBo corrupted Windows (??) and I reformatted and all is well now.

Thanks all

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    when a PSU goes South you never know what collateral damage has been caused?
    my DAD switched th ePSU 240 / 110 v switch across whilst PC was running [I don't know why ] and the collateral damage was as follows

all I could recover was the feckin CASE

cpu / RAM / Mo-Bo / HDD's even the DVD ROM went west
    so if your PSU faulted, it would send a fault load down into your PC, so even when you fit a new PSU, the original fault has still fried possibly everything after the PSU

there are tests to prove each item
    but it is generally safer to assume total loss
    and hope your backups were up to date ...................

luck to you
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone