Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /introduction

/introduction

Hello, all. I am a young one-man industrial band from Oklahoma (US) calling myself The Organized Resistance. I have been in music for many years, but my other major passion is computers.

Naturally, it didn't take long to find myself lost in the backwater annals of hacktivist/computer anti-culture. However, I have no idea how to do all of these things, and beyond BBC and a basic understanding of HTML, I have no coding abilities. I'm here to learn the things that I need to know to be somewhat fluent in compters and security, as opposed to the 1337 5p33<!N n00bl37 that I am now.

My only experience with computers are MMOs and FPSs, but I'm trying to change that.

-TOR
    Last edited by The Organized Resistance; January 9th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
    ALWAYS wear protective eyegear.

was that nooblet? or nooblel?

AOs Resident Troll
    Hello

wow I had to look the up....MMO and FPS...your either a very good gamer....or a fax machine

Thats cause I am really old and out of the loop....well lets just say...I am in a different loop

Welcome..

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias360
    was that nooblet? or nooblel?
    Haha, nooblet, my dear watson.

Hi, and welcome to AO.

My advice, don't go around telling people your learning how to become a hacker =)

I'm here to learn the things that I need to know to be a hacker
    I think you're already going about things the wrong way. Personally, I got into computers because I like them... not because I wanted to be something.

and beyond BBC
    dear watson.
    After that I had to post this link...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to AO.

I believe that in order to be a good security analyst you have to know what a hacker does etc etc. However people will come here saying that to try and learn how to hack. Indefinately it is not AO's problem whether you use your knowledge to hack or to know what exactly is going on.

My suggestion is to read up on the tutorials on the website and go through the newsletters. I went through the first two newsletters while at work and have found out some interesting concepts etc. Just remember this is a professional site but im sure Nihil will explain that to you when he replies to this post

Enjoy ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thank you for the advice. I did not mean it in the sense that I wanted to learn how to hack people for information or gain or whatever, so I guess I won't use that term from here on.

It's okay, we understand that it's a double-edged sword. In order to secure something, you must know how to breach it. Either that or you have to hire someone who does.

Quote Originally Posted by ArPaNET
    Hi, and welcome to AO.

My advice, don't go around telling people your learning how to become a hacker =)
    Yes, the accepted vernacular is "penetration tester"