Solaris 10 Install

Thread: Solaris 10 Install

Solaris 10 Install

So I finally decided to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine just now. I went to my Mom's house earlier and grabbed the rest of my machines and started setting up more of them in the tech room, and my Wife was like "Well if You're going to reformat that one anyway and put a new OS on it why not put Solaris on it?" and I'm like hmm, I guess, why not?

I hadn't ever done it before, and I have the official DVDs from Sun, so I grabbed the one for PC hardware instead of Sparc and popped it in.

I think this is one of the easiest installs I've ever done. And considering the machine I'm installing it on is a P3 733 MHz box with 384 MBs RAM (meaning no GUI install because that requires 400 so it was text only) it went smooth.

So I'm finally going to take Solaris for a test drive after thinking about it and talking about it for like 3 years lol.

I have the developer tool kit too, but since I'm no coder I don't think I really need it.

It reminds me a lot of BSD, which should make sense considering Sun was founded by a guy who helped make BSD what it is now and the original SunOS was basically a version of BSD on the hardware they had...

Anyway, anyone else have or use Solaris? It's my first time (Wow been a while since I've uttered those words for just about any subject lol) so I'm not sure how it all works, but we have a lot of docs as my Wife is great at finding books online, but if anyone has tips I'm listening.

The install is still going right now, the box is old as crap, so I can't expect it to just instantly finish or boot, but it's going along just fine.

Anyway, it's Solaris 10, and my first time, I'm excited lol.

Good man yourself sir!

To be honest with you it has been a few years now, and I wasn't involved with the OS itself, only with supporting end-user apps that ran on it.

It reminded me of mainframes........... like you didn't have to even think about what the OS was?

Please give us some updates on your findings, I for one would be interested and appreciate that

Well, I have finished the installation, and it boots up good, loads and I have the GUI loaded too, I decided for right now I'm going to use CDE for a bit since I haven't ever before, and then maybe later the new Java one that's all pretty lol.

Hmm, I can't get it on my network, not a clue why yet, it doesn't have a network card configuration in the admin console thingy (whew me and those big tech words!) but knowing that there has to be an answer I popped up a few directories to search around for things related to hardware and network stuff and realized "Whoa! that's a LOT of files!" so I haven't found the right one yet, which blows because this OS is AWESOME to say the least....

I told my Wife we might be getting that Sparc sooner than later because honestly, I LOVE it. So of course I want one with it's natural hardware environment.

I can't recommend this enough.

Well, it seems that it has gone up rather than down. That doesn't surprise me.............. I have always considered it to be a damn fine OS...... although more the domain of grey-haired old farts like myself

However, I was not on the OS side whilst using it

I am delighted that you have "found eachother" and that your wife is understanding about all this.............. she sounds quite a bit like my Eileen..........

I am threatened with divorce if I bring another computer into the house.......... so I buy some RAM and leave it on one of the kitchen units........ then a HDD, then a DVD RW and a DVD R........... then a MoBo.......... a 3.5" floppy............. then the case was delivered.......... I opened it, demonstrated that it was "just an empty replacement case".......... then sat cross-legged on the sitting room floor and built me a box under her very eyes.................

The next day, she has parked the car outside the front door and rings the bell (we were on a no-parking highroad back then)...........

In the trunk were 4 PIII 966's/512Mb's, cables, 17" CRTs mice, keyboards.............

"They were going to throw them out at work........."

"I'm going to divorce you.......... what is sauce for the goose is sauce fior the gander"

I should have ducked.......... didn't, and fetched up with a nice black eye.......

The guys and gals in GIS were kinda surprised that this had happened......... until I said: PIIIs.............. I wanted "Xeons"

I shall be dead, but I can see you two celebrate your 50th. anniverary............ just remember to chuck one down your necks in memory of the "old fart" huh?

Hahahaha nice story, very much nice lol.

My Wife is VERY understanding when it comes to "Well it's a Sparc Honey, I had to!" or "But it's got a 502 under the hood!"... Come to think of it, if I came home driving a Muscle car or other classic car and in the trunk was a Sparc machine and a case of Boddington beer, She'd think it was HER Birthday gift.

She Loves all 3.

I'm Blessed in the area of what men normally get in trouble for when it comes to buying stuff.

Hell She told me once if I had a shot at buying a classic car and DIDN'T... THEN She would be mad lol.

It was Her idea to install Solaris too, lol, I was just going to pop FreeBSD on the box, and She was like "Why not use those DVDs we got from Sun? Put Solaris on, it's not hard to install, so try that" and I said OK why not?

She kept asking me what I thought about it after it was done, and She is pretty happy to have Solaris access again lol.

She had it on a HD but the disk crashed so She had no more partitions to re-install it on Her box so She's excited just like I am, we stayed up ALL night last night until the Sun came up (Pun is in fact intended there...Literally, it was 7 AM, the Sun was coming up and so was the Sun software lol!) and I logged in and started playing.

We went to Breakfast and then came back and watched some DVDs and went to bed lol.