Any Hams on AO?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Hams on AO?

Any Hams on AO?

I have recently developed an interest in Ham Radio [or amateur radio]. My dad has been a ham for decades now, and has an Amateur Extra license, which I guess is the highest license that you can get. He told me that if I get my license, he will give me one of his 2m radios. Very exciting to me... I was just wondering if there were any hams on AO, and if so, what tips do you have for studying/passing the exam. I have bought the book "Ham Radio for Dummies" and have been impressed with the information and the presentation. Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Banned
    As long as you don't start driving a truck with silly long antenna's sticking out - which make you think you're the man for whatever reason (must be the long antenna's), I'm all for it!

lol Negative ... I was thinking more of a van with no windows and silly long antennas... j/k ... nah, I will probably keep all of my equipment in my apartment here... I am just really fascinated by the technology... I have already learned quite a bit about radio signals and transmission theory... there are so many regulations, that is what I am having trouble memorizing... each class of license lets you broadcast on more and more frequencies... I want to work my way up to the 'amateur extra' license, but that will probably be a ways off...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

phreak.org

One site I used to visit had alot of information on this. They used to have updates and message boards, but that has stopped over the last 5 years. Even without the updates they still have alot of information over radio and phone technology.

http://www.phreak.org

I used to frequent phreak.org, but once they stopped updating I stopped visiting... I had forgotten that they had info on amateur radio... thanks for the reminder.

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Okay, im not from the US or UK. Someone explain this "HAM" endevour.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ham is actually a term for which no clear origin exists. There are several theories, in fact I think there is a wiki page about it... it basically refers to an amateur radio operator, amateur not meaning without skill, but not licensed for commercial bands. Ham radio operators also act as a means of communication during times of national emergency. During the World Trade Center attacks, ham radio operators were essential in maintaining communication lines... I am starting to sound like the book I am reading :-P ... check out wikipedia or do a google search for more info... I have read that there are Ham Radio operators in almost every country...

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Woot - Im going to start one in SA
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

westin: Not too long ago I saw a very young looking geek do a presentation to our local infragard about HAM radio and emergency communications. He was just a freshman in college but he knew his stuff. The papers did a story on him and there were many people writing in questioning his age and experience. He invited them out to see what he had done for the community and how others could help. He had built travel kits and actively does disaster tests of "large scale" on a regular basis. Considering the size of my state (DE), it's not very "large", but still quite impressive for some teen. It's all quite interesting to me but I couldn't afford the equipment to get started at the time.

If your interest develops more and you really get into it, think about joining a local CERT. They'll be able to point you to local "communication corps" in which you can put your newly gained knowledge to the test and help out your community at the same time. My local communication corps has a website here which you can checkout to see what they do. All very interesting stuff.
    Last edited by phishphreek; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Phish Thanks for the information, I wish I could have seen the guys presentation... I will definitely look into joining up with CERT...

Cider Looks like someone beat you to it http://www.sarl.org.za/

-HST