Thread: VB express 2005 chat program

VB express 2005 chat program

Hi there everyone. I need a bit of help with making a chat program in visual basic express. I've searched all over the web, but only found chat programs written in VB 6 or .NET, and I'm a beginner so I don't know how to 'translate' those codes to VB express. I just want it to be able to connect over a P2P network. Does anyone have any good tutorials for this? Thanks

Custom User
    VB express 2005 is just a cut down version of Visual Studio for VB.NET so you can use the VB.NET code in it.

ac

Thanks, I tried using another VB code for a chat program, except it uses a component called winsock. I tried to add this into my program (right clicked toolbox, clicked choose items, clicked COM components tab) but i couldn't find winsock anywhere. Do I need to download this separately?

Custom User
    Winsock is just the standard windows networking library AFAIK. Are you sure it's VB.NET code you got, and not Visual Basic (there's a difference). Also, did you get a solution and project with it (look for .sln and .vbproj files) - if not it may be that you need to add some references.

One other thing, I noticed you mentioned something about COM components. COM code is unmanaged (i.e. it doesn't run in the .NET Framework environment) and you should avoid using it if at all possible. For a simple chat client I can't see why you would need to use any COM.

ac

Heh, not to sound insulting or anything, but if you're having issues determining the difference between vb.net express and vb.net, you have a long way to go before you should be writing network apps.

Start with something a bit more simple (I started with a dice-rolling program for tabletop RPG's). Learn how classes and objects work. Learn where to find in the .NET framework the methods/members/datatypes/etc that you'll need. One of the greatest downfalls of new programmers is that they get into programming with one project in mind, and get discouraged when that project ends up being alot more complicated than they thought it would. Patience, and it will all come together.

By the way, that dice-rolling program I mentioned earlier was later integrated into a much larger project based on the same concept as OpenRPG

vb.net chat server

there is one simple vb.net chat programming sample , just look it

http://vb.net-informations.com/commu...er_program.htm