Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My OS is better than YOUR OS

The only frys here comes with salt on it with a burger, there really is no where else unless you count ONE store here that's owned by some guy around here, and last time I went in he was still selling Pentium 3s, and Windows NT, and ripping people off. So I stay away from there.

I've personally never had a problem with them, even when making returns. They're always prompt and courteous. I do, however, read horror stories of BB's customer service nearly every day.

Aside from that, it sounds like Gore's view of OS's is pretty much the same as mine. I use what's needed, where it's needed. Different OS's have different purposes. I'm personally sick of the 'OS wars'.

If there isn't a better store, I'd just buy online. If you haven't noticed, I hate BB with a passion, and will never shop there again.

if you haven't noticed there is an edit button lol... just playing (couldn't resist)
    Yeah BB is for the "public" =)

Well, I really didn't know holding the Windows key and e for a while did something, but OK cool lol.

Wow you guys hate BestBuy huh? Really it's the ONLY good place for software music and movies here.

I mean there are other places, but literally they charge about twice the price of BestBuy. A lot of Grindhouse Releasing DVDs are like 20 or more dollars, Best Buy has them for 9.99, and some DVDs worth like 50 dollars Best Buy has for like 25 or so, so if you like Underground Horror movies, Best Buy is it. Same with CDs.

And if you like The Crystal Method, Best Buy is the only place to get the Drive album.

And software; I got The FreeBSD Powerpack there, BeOS Pro 5 and the books there and most of my SUSE Linux boxed sets there. Not many other places sell it on shelf anymore.

That and I get deals since security staff and most of the sales people in the electronics area are friends of mine, so I get monitors for 50 - 99 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by delstar
    Aside from that, it sounds like Gore's view of OS's is pretty much the same as mine. I use what's needed, where it's needed. Different OS's have different purposes. I'm personally sick of the 'OS wars'.
    Reposted for truth.

I like my comp, and the OS I run. It works fine, and I can't complain. The whole UNIX>Linux>Win>Mac type arguments are annoying. If whatever system works for the user, then the user is satisfied. End of story. OS elitism is ridiculous, and makes overzealous users of (x) OS seem like idiots, IMO.

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; January 31st, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    Reposted for truth.

I like my comp, and the OS I run. It works fine, and I can't complain. The whole UNIX>Linux>Win>Mac type arguments are annoying. If whatever system works for the user, then the user is satisfied. End of story. OS elitism is ridiculous, and makes overzealous users of (x) OS seem like idiots, IMO.

O
    I agree. I use both linux and m$. It just depends on what I want to do. So far, I'm not terribly impressed by Vista. A lot of the programs I use at work won't run on Vista without a lot of tweaking. I actually get excited with disbelief when I see a setup program run to completion on Vista... That said, I'm trying my best with it. I use it daily on my laptop. I just have another laptop sitting right next to it loaded with XP for the programs that Vista wouldn't run... or, sometime I'll remote desktop to a XP workstation.

I don't have enough experience to comment on mac. I refuse to buy one at their prices. If work were to give me one, then I might think about it... but until then... I won't even walk into the store.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

This may seem odd or not, but I would actually LOVE to have a Mac to play with. I have only used OS X like twice in my whole life, and that was at school in a graphics class I dropped because they didn't point out that it was really just a marketing class to teach you how to make ads in illustrator or whatever.

I sat at the 21 inch flat screen LCD with dual G5s and a gig of RAM while the other kids sat at G4s. Probably because EVERY persno in there but me was a serious Mac weenie and in other words, hippy. So my long haired punk industrial self sat wherever I wanted and no one tried to talk to me but the teacher, who only knew how to use the app the class used, and kept yelling at me for opening the Terminal... Specially when he saw me reading root's directory...

My other teachers didn't care and as usual stood up for me since I'm actually well liked by the CS teachers. I help out in class and get good grades when I'm there so they have no problem saying to the heads "No he was actually doing this to help expand the Security + class by working out a real work scenario when he got the firewall logs to spew out of that printer" and then "Umm, gore you'll have to write a quickie paper on that but we got you out of trouble" lol.

Obviously they didn't call me gore, but most people here either know my real name, or they don't becauise I don't like them anyway, or they're just new

Anyway though, I thought the interface was nice. Reminded me of Enlightenment.

And of course, Apple being founded by a phreaker / hacker is cool too, and bringing UNIX to the home user like no one in history is also cool.

I'd like to have a Mac just to learn how the system works. Just in case I need to work on one in the future or something.

I just reentered the Mac world after 8 or 9 years as a Slackware user (still have Slack with VMware on my shiny new iMac). I still sort of flinch when I have to restart my computer after installing or updating an app (wtf is up with that). I am forced to use XP for work. So I use all 3 on a daily basis. When all is said and done, I feel Linux is safer and more stable than the others.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.