Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My OS is better than YOUR OS

Microcenter has a very large selection of PCs and components....and good prices. That would be my #1 store...its just that there isn't enough of them.

Compared to when XP was 1 year old...Vista is by far better. I do not mind it. Its been working fine for my everyday box. Microsoft is known to be incompatible with older apps...and they'll always be a bunch of dicks about it. Phish...I see that problem every day...I deal with a lot of business customers who cannot jump to vista because most of their software will not work. Luckily we still provide some XP-pro machines at our store.

Gore...you provide some of the best Linux information I've ever seen...but you gotta admit...when it comes to windows, you'll always be negatively biased

Of course I am, that was the point of this whole thread to entertain with a discussion that always pushes buttons.

Well, I really didn't know holding the Windows key and e for a while did something, but OK cool lol.
    yeah, it just opens up a new window, if you hold the two keys down it will keep doing so; and if you hold if for like 7-8 seconds the OS can't keep up with the task and freezes =)

If I knew how to run Linux based OS's like I can Microsofts then I would for sure switch... right now my advanced programming CSC class is enough for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by delstar
    I'd like to have a Mac just to learn how the system works. Just in case I need to work on one in the future or something.
    Same here. But, I'm not willing to pay for it just yet. Maybe later down the road if they drop their prices and I have more people asking me mac questions.

I've tried to fully switch to linux. It is difficult. I'm comfortable doing my everday tasks on my xp boxes. I'm not comfortable doing the same on a linux box. That said, I'm very comfortable running servers on linux. If linux were to come up with something like active directory and group policy... I'd go linux on the server side all the way.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    It's not the operating systems its the cult zealots and the snake oil salesmen that push this stuff that we hate. I mean if Steve Jobs **** in a beige plastic box he could sell the "IShit" and people will buy it because he's a "visionary". Gates was the same way but he's lost his mojo.

Every Os has it's strengths and weaknesses. I remember using C64 basic, Atari all excellent systems for their times.

The best system I used was OpenVMS. HP (the current license holder) is having a promotion on the 30th anniversary of VMS. A lot of companies are still using it, I still have my DECUS (Digital Equipment Computer USers group) card.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

VMS.....................arrgh! I just wet meself!

I have RISC..... not bad, but not in the same sentence as VMS?

My wife has just come back from hospital and her cancer operation................

She has deliberately restricted herself to the paracetamol tablets, and is saving the shedload of codeine phosphate for yourself

Do not even think about my cacti!!!!

Johnno

I've still never used VMS. From what I hear from the 13 year old graduating a virgin types it's un-hackable, which I believe to be crap. No software is "un-hackable".

And for the people on THIS side of the ocean, paracetamol = Tylenol / Acetaminophen.

Didn't one guy who worked on VMS help write Windows NT?

hmmm... Great! Well, I was about to buy a new laptop. Since here in India, no-one offers a Laptop with Linux, I am at loss of both bucks and brain. Anyway I think that something good can be expected of Vista SP1.

As of now. I just shifted completely to Linux and after using Linux for Long time, I can say "openSUSE rules". I am running so many of things I could not even imagine under Windows (any version). With about 100 software in menu that covers all that can be done (except animation and video editing . . . thats what I do not know anyway, and I don't need to ). Windows would have been a crawler if I loaded so many apps on it.

As far as vists is concerned, one of my friends bought a laptop (of course vist HP installed) and he is just sick of the number of crashes, slow copying, high mem usage and OS slow-downs. Now what does an OS mean if it crashes on a hardware which is said to be WELL SUPPORTED and the drivers loaded properly by the manufacturer. Anyway I am on Linux and am free of that one till I get a new laptop.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    VMS was easy or hard to hack depending on how tight a company made their security.

Every file, directory or program had protection. You had 4 categories of users
    system: the system manager
    owner: the user that created or owned the file
    group: the group of users the owner belonged to
    world: everybody else that had access to the system

Then you had 4 categories of privelege
    R read... the file could be read or copied
    W write... the file could be edited or written to
    E execute... the file could be executed
    D delete... the file could be deleted

So in a verbose directory listing you'd see

file.ext (S:rwed, O:rwed, G:re, W:r)
    the owner of the file could lock out his account, directories and files from everyone but Sysadmin.

You could make security real tight by the system or by user. Most VMS hacks were social engineering or just bad system admin. You'd see some users get creamed and other users who set their security tight get untouched. It really was a great system. I'd write a tutorial about it if anyone cared

Nihil...I had to give up the pain meds but thank your wife for thinking of me. Pain is my friend, it lets me know I'm alive. I hope the recovery is going well for the "missus"
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot