Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My OS is better than YOUR OS

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    This is interesting, I use the word H A C K twice in tha post and it came up as "wear fishnets" . I'll type it again hack I wonder what will come up when I post it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Fourdc : Let me introduce you to AO's newest word filter, the wear fishnetser (yes, that was meant to be the H word). I guess the admins got sick of that word being used so much.

Or we wanted to mess you your head

I vote for axe weilding school teacher next!

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Interesting,

I wonder how long it will be before the general public starts using it, instead of the "slashdot effect" we can have the "AntiOL effect"

This can be a combination easter egg hunt and "You bet your life" game. Each week the sysop chooses a magic word and puts it through the word filter, when some unsuspecting user trips over the "word", the user gets spammed with a picture of the sysop in fishnets.

( background for younger users... "You bet your life" was an old black and white TV show hosted by Grouch Marx. He interviewed people and if someone used the word of the day, a rubber chicken would swing down from the ceiling )

you'd probably be old enough to know this if you used VMS LOL
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hey guys,

Remember that the MAC is based on *nix. There are already two root kits in the wild that infect MAC's. Add to that the new macOS runs on Intel hardware - (cheaper - easier) = more market share. More market share = more macOS virus writers.

So Uh - yea. Any malware, antivirus or prevention strategies for the MAC tested and in place?

Just think - in a few years - "Put a MAC on line and it will be infected in ten minutes" Might not be too far from the truth.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I think the dino is right. I am thinking of protecting my openSUSE!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Well of course he's right. Firefox has already proven that. But at the same time it wouldn't touch how bad Windows 9X was. There aren't any real user accounts. That's ONE reason people don't write many virii for Linux and UNIX these days. Though the original worm, the first, was of course for UNIX

One thing though, you can be sure as lonig as you don't run as root, you can't really screw up anything if you actually adhere to some standards in root. You could say the same for NT. If you don't use admin for everything, you're helping protect your box.

Well, gore, may i ask you WHAT RULES do you think one must adhere to when using the root account. Since I am completely on Linux now, I think I must know. Of course I am aware of many points but then a geek like you must be able to point out some even important points.

- Albert Einstein

Lol, geek? Well yea. I guess so, but most geeks hate me because I hate Star Trek, Math, Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, and most other geek movies about science fiction and because I play bass and don't talk like that guy on the Simpsons. Duno why but at my college some of them hated me, like 2 of them, because I wasn't a noticeable geek...

OK anyway, umm what I meant about that:

Everyone here has probably seen "Don't use root for day to day" even reading BOFH teaches you that, but it's good info. If you come from Windows it's hard to get into the habit of using a basic user account.

Hell I know I find mysef logging in as admin all the time on Windows just because I'm to damn lazy to remember the commands for running things as admin. I know on UNIX based stuff it's "su" or you can do "sudo" and just have ONE application running as root while being logged in from a regular user account...

Or I can open an E-Term (I prefer that over most others, not because it's more secure, but simply it looks pretty by default, both font wise and others) and use that to do this:

su
    rootpassword
    root@host:->#
    And now I have a terminal loaded as root, and can use that to run apps on the box as root like YAST2, though most modern BSD and Linux distros will ask you for the root password for that stuff before loading it so you can run it as root, especially in KDE and Gnome where it does that for the date and so on.

But I have one machnie here that I'll use as an example:

I have an OLD ass box here, it was my Mom's first computer, it's a Celeron @433 MHz with 192 MBs RAM, which was an upgrade, it had 32 or 64, I don't recall right now, and an 8 meg video card, and a 15 inch CRT.

Well the HD died in it and I said "Don't throw it out I'll use it!" and She ordered a brand new computer, and I slapped a brand new 80 GB HD in there and it works great now.

I knew it was the HD because She told me She heard weird grinding noises sometimes and it would stop working. So I put it an 80 GB drive I bought for oneof my machines and installed Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD on it. Currently, that box is STILL running.

I have it logged in on tty6 as a user with IRSSI running, and I have FVWM2 loaded on it because it IS slow but it works fine for that and I can even web surf on it with Firefox.

Right now it's running Apache for my tests on my LAN, I made some directories to tets stuff out with it, and being lazy I just did "vim index.html.en" instead of making a new HTML index page for apache, I just edited the default example, deleted the rest except the German one and made some links to test if I had done it right.

So now I can watch Cannibal Ferox over my network.

Well to do that, I loaded up like 5 Xterms, logged in as root on a few and user on a few others. On the ones I loaded as a user, I loaded this:

gaim &

Firefox &

and then minimized it.

The root ones, I did this:

vim index.html

cp /home/myusername/media/video/CannibalFerox /var/www/htdocs/test

cp /home/myuseraccount/media/mp3/TheCrystalMethod/SomeSong.mp3 /var/www/htdocs/test

And then coded the page, and loaded it up.

So there is one example; I'm leaving Xterms loaded as root so I can work on the page for Apache, I just leave vi loaded with the index int here and save it when I change it instead fo closing it because it's a work in progress, and the other root shell open I use to load new things to the directory.

The other shells are loaded up with regular users and I load things like Gaim or Pidgin, and web browser in there.

I also have an FTP server installed on that box too, but I don't allow it any connections from the net, I have a box I use JUST as an FTP server already, a MUCH faster one with a bigger HD, and it's the one I brought up in the first post of this thread, been running for 3 years now. I think I've rebooted ONCE.

If it matters, I use VSFTPd. I like it and know how to use it for what I do. I just don't like using this testing machine as a real server because I also use it for some day to day things and I don't like running ANY servers on a machine that does that.

I use one box for a server and I don't use that for user stuff. Needless to say my Server doesn't use X either. Waste of resources. I rarely even turn the monitor on, when I want to update or check for them, I use SSH. So generally that side of the tech room has the monitor off, and sits there waiting for me to use it to run a network back up, which then I plug in my external USB HD and back THAT back up up so I have full back ups of the machines. All of them. I make directories for each box and each type, but when it comes to MP3 and videos and stuff, I just use one account for all that stuff + most of the other stuff. That way it saves on disk space.

So that box sit's in the far corner, and then there is a desk fan running to keep it cool + the box I was just talking about before that cool too since I don't run it with the case on.

There isn't a fan on the CPU for some reason.... There is a heatsink, but no fan on it, and the power supply fan blows right on the heat sink which seems odd to me. But anyway, I leave the case off, and have a little like 12 inch fan on the floor blowing cool air into both machines.

Which is good bevcause my Cisco switch and my Router both are in that area too, so lots of wires back there.

And the first computer I ever bought is right next to that, running FreeBSD and Windows 98 SE. I installed Windows 98 SE and didn't patch it on purpose to test stuff.

That one runs with just the side case taken off to help cooling. I spray them out with duster to keep them clean inside.

The server and my main desktop run with the case on though, they're more expensive.

Anyway this is really long, but I wanted to give you a decent answer instead of linking to some web page or whatever telling you how to do this. So I gave you a run down of how I operate instead of some jack ass web page like I said, that's impersonal. I think it was better to say "well, this is what I do and how I actually work here".

Hope that helps.

I think that I have understood from your post that I must run minimal number of apps as root. Anyway the only app that is always (almost) runnning as root is my dialer (wvdial) and the rest as generals.

I have another small question:

How many computers do you have? I am amzaed to hear of the word 'another' referring yet another machine you own. Do you remember the count?

And I think I got the key there. The key is: your are a geek. and most of the things you runs as root are only those which need to be run as root.

- Albert Einstein