School Network...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Network...

School Network...

Okay, this just recently started happening... I would leave my computer running (connected to the dorms network) go to class/eat/etc... come back and it kicks me to local w/out internet??? So I have to restart my computer just to get internet access back. All my drivers are updated etc, I just don't understand why this happens; all my friends computers stay connected, it is just mine.

Also, I know that this isn't a gaming site; but seeing as to how the new consoles of today are pretty much computers... My Xbox360 keeps lagging and dropping out of games on the schools network too, any insight would be great thanks.

The 360 problem is most likely bandwidth. If you do any downloading (especially bittorrent) or share a network connection with anyone who does then ur xbox live connection will pay the price. Unlike regular downloading such as over http, ftp or p2p (when nobody else is downloading from you at the time), both the xbox and bittorrent are simultaneously pulling AND pushing traffic so it's especially gonna kill you if you have a low upload rate.

Have you checked power management... sounds like windows may be disabeling your NIC to conserve power.

As far as lagging out on your schools network.
    Is this during peak hours?
    If so its probably due to saturation of your schools LAN. lots of kids playing games sharing files.. etc...
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

I figured that would be it for the 360, now the computer...

My power management settings are fine (just checked to make sure) and it isn't during peak hours, really it is pretty random. This morning I woke up to the "local only" connection, I just went to get something to eat; and came back to the same problem... it is really weird.

p.s. any way to prevent the 360 from dropping out of games like that ie (assign a new ip address to it, or something like that?)

The only other thing I can think of to try before you maybe start replacing hardware... assuming you havn't already done it would be to check your event viewer maybe it will give you some insite to what may be causing it maybe its an issue with DHCP if you have a router maybe something to do with lease time. other than that try a new ethernet cable maybe reinstall your NIC drivers
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

A new IP isn't going to help at all as long as your still riding the same congested pipe. The only option is to jump on another pipe, or take a sledge hammer and smash everyone else's equipment to pieces...

Everytime i'm about to jump on xbox live, I always stop my bittorrent tasks before hand. Unless i really REALLY want to download something, in which case i switch over to the neighbors open wifi, lol... I would opt for the larger upload rate with my ISP, but they don't have anything higher in my area.

I have had 3 total DHCP errors, non within the last seven days, NIC drivers have been re-installed, and I have never heard of an ethernet cable causing such things.

Is the ethernet cable just a last resort type of suggestion or is there some truth behind it?

looks like I am stuck with crappy xbox live... thanks though

Back on the power-management thing, make sure there's not a setting in the BIOS for that. I've seen it there from time to time.

An ethernet cable will drop it's connection randomly like that if it wasn't made right. Sometimes people will cut too deep when removing the sheeth and slice into one of the wires. Then, over time with being moved around so much the wire that was damaged during it's creation will eventually break but the copper pieces will still touch and give a very bad connection. But that's easily determined by looking at the wires near the tip and moving the cable around roughly and seeing if anything comes loose.

The other thing you may wanna look into... have you pissed anyone off lately? lol... maybe someone's just messing with you...

The other thing you may wanna look into... have you pissed anyone off lately? lol... maybe someone's just messing with you...
    D@mn you The-Spec lol just kidding...

No the only one in my room is my "roommate" and he isn't like that.

I will try switching the ethernet cables and see if that works, they are kinda bare. My BIOS doesn't have a setup for my NIC, just my battery, etc...

Thanks guys, that should be all.