Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new Video Card

Need a new Video Card

OK, the last few days, the fan on my video card has been making that grinding sound that we all don't like listening to.

The card is an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128 MBs.

This is the second time. The first time I took the machine in and they replaced it for free at Best Buy, and now it's doing it again, it was the same 5200 card except this new one didn't have the second monitor outlet like my first one did, but they were both 5200 cards.

The same grinding noise, it's annoying....

Anyway, can anyone recommend a decent card?

Here are my requirements -

It HAS to be Nvidia. I won't use anything else because they actually support Linux and FreeBSD with the unified driver so I can play games on Linux AND Windows without wondering if the performance is going to be different.

Not another 5200

AGP.... Going to have to check which KIND of AGP since for some reason hardware people like to make RAM, Video Cards and other things more difficult for people like nme who don't really care about hardware as long as it works well having to check things because AGP has 3 types alone, then there is PCI and PCI-E which I for sure can't use, my MOBO is a couple years old.

I'd like to spend under 170 dollars for now.

That's my only requirements. Working with Linux and BSD which Nvidia typically does withuot problems, and not to expensive.

I've been looking on Newegg but finding one that isn't crap when I'm not great on hardware unless it comes to NICs and HDs isn't very cool.

So, if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate that. I know some people here are good in this area which is why I'm asking here, I trust you guys more than some spec writer.

Thanks all,

-gore...Ich brauche Nvidia!

PS: I have a 350 watt powersupply.

Hmmm,

What make and model of MoBo is it?

I would first try cleaning the fan thoroughly and putting a very small drop of oil on the spindle using a cocktail stick as the applicator. The real tool is called an "orange stick" and is used to lubricate mechanical clocks and watches

Check that the noise isn't something simple like wires being hit by the fan blades.

If that doesn't fix it, look at getting a replacement fan...............it is probably 40mm.............watch for the right number of pins.

I can get back to you on a new card when you tell me the MoBo details
    Last edited by nihil; February 3rd, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    A 5200
    is an old POS
    just go up the chain to the 7000 series, they're also old now, so cheap
    in UK 5200 is about £20
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119722

the 6800 are around 35
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114006

7900GS around £60
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139552

each will work, all are way under your budget
    and dump the fan too
    get over to Zalman / Quiet PC and get a passive cooler, NO noise, and they work really well
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/main.asp

http://www.quietpcusa.com/
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Cool

I'm using an Nvidia GeForce 6200 (AGP) :-). It runs fine on my slackware and bsd. It doesn't make much noise at all ( maybe its because of my bitchy cpu fan that i haven't noticed). And it costs under 100$...

http://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-Geforce...2103218&sr=8-1

OK,

This is the best option I have found:

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Geforce-76...2103218&sr=8-1

The two cards foxy~ is suggesting appear to be PCI-E.

If your MoBo is only a couple of years old it should be AGP 2.0 (8x) You would find it difficult to get an AGP 1.0 (2x - 4X) these days The only other variant I am aware of is "low profile", but if you already have a 5200 then you don't want one of those.

The 7600 is supposed to work with a 300w PSU, so you should be good to go in that department as well.

hey gore,

you might wish to check out his card:

http://leadtek.com/eng/3d_graphic/ov...&pronameid=249

You may wish to check out cards from other suppliers as well with the same chip set.

However if i were in you place, i would chuck the old mobo and purchase a pci-express supporting board. There is already a board called 8800 GT which supports pci-express 2.0 standards.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphi...rce-8800-GT/p1

I am upgrading to this card :-)

thx,

chizra
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Hmmm,

You have may have difficulty there, as I believe nVidia retired that chipset a while back. When it came out it was around $300. It also gave some people problems with their PSUs not being able to match its needs.

It was one of the best AGP 8x boards around though.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    The two cards foxy~ is suggesting appear to be PCI-E.

I was just adding the links quickly to show they are cheap and available
    I SHOULD have linked to AGP natch, just got lazy

sorry bout that
    Last edited by foxyloxley; February 4th, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Thanks for the suggestions

I did pop the card out and give it a cleaning, it was kind of dusty so I sprayed the fan off until it was almost spotless and then gave it one more good cna of dusting before popping it back in, and I also did check thinging myself it was wires too but none come into contact with it, I think it's just worn and in need of being replaced.

I think Foxy's suggestion sounds pretty good about 7700's, my Wife said basically the same thing, so I'll probably be giving those a try.

Unless of course I have a good job soon, then, well, I'll be just buying a new Nvidia bad boy lol.

Thanks again everyone!

What are the specifications of the rest of your kit? In particular what is the make/model of your PSU?

You need to be careful here or you won't be a happy camper.............. trust me! Just fry a PSU and see what else of your kit still works

PSUs actually deteriorate with time, and in the case of cheap, generic ones, probably never give the claimed "marketing" output from day one.

Another thing to bear in mind, certainly with 6000 series and better nVidia cards, is that they have sensors and firmware that monitor the power supply they are actually getting. If this is not adequate then they will "downgrade" or "detune" themselves so that it is.

The end result is that the new card performs like a bigger POS than the one it replaced

If you are going for anything better than a 7600, be prepared to shell out for a PSU upgrade, and even a 7600 may require one if your existing one is really crappy.