View Poll Results: Should reputations be disabled?

Voters
1021. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! - They're useless. Lose 'em

999 97.85%
  • No! - I use them to determine who I should listen to

11 1.08%
  • I couldn't care less if you tattooed them on my forehead

11 1.08%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should reputations be disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    ouroboros, there is a report abuse icon. It's the little triangle, red border, ! In the center.
    Yeah, I forgot about that in the middle of typing out my tirade. I have used it to report outright abuse.

But, to that point, that little button should be all that's necessary. I like to believe that most AOers are self-policing, and when we catch someone plainly abusing the community, whether it be trolling, spamming, or whatever, we will have that little clicker to push and hand the issue off to the admins/mods.

If someone has good intent, but is just plain wrong, we also have the responsibility to point out the errors in the poster's logic/technique/theory. Like I said in my previous post, if I am wrong in my thinking about a topic I WANT someone to tell me so, so that I may adjust accordingly and hopefully learn something in the process. That is where the 'reputation' system breaks down. Just because I have 'a reputation beyond repute' doesn't make me infallible, and likewise, just because a new member has the one dot under their name doesn't mean that they are automatically suspect.

What it comes down to is our responsibility to each other, our mutual respect for one another, the freedom to speak our minds, thoughts, and advice. It is also our responsibility to correct and/or chastise advice or tips that are incorrect/inaccurate/dangerous.

Regarding posts: if I've helped in some way, just say thanks. If I'm way off base, tell me to shut the f*** up and explain what I'm doing wrong, while being civil about it.

The rep. points are useless and don't serve the community or its function at all. The users that participate here do, not some f***ing green dots.

We are all intelligent enough to police ourselves and our AO...the admins and mods are there because they have to be...can't let the lunatics run the asylum

All that said, let me be the first to say...JPnyc, go ahead and disable mine. I am me, not a bunch of f***ing dots.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

every vote counts precisely the same. It's an anonymous poll. There is no way of knowing who voted for what, unless one posts about it.
    It's anonymous to the users but an admin can see who voted for what.

Not currently an option with this software. I don't even know if it's an option in the latest version, which we will be upgrading to at some point relatively soon.
    Again an admin can turn reputation on and off for each user. The default could be on and a simple PM from a user to an admin could turn it off.

Also it would not be too hard to write a simple PHP hack to allow users to turn their own rep on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeTone
    It's anonymous to the users but an admin can see who voted for what.

Again an admin can turn reputation on and off for each user. The default could be on and a simple PM from a user to an admin could turn it off.

Also it would not be too hard to write a simple PHP hack to allow users to turn their own rep on and off.
    The last thing this site needs is PHP hacks again. A while back, it got to the point where the site couldn't be upgraded due to all the modifications.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

The last thing this site needs is PHP hacks again. A while back, it got to the point where the site couldn't be upgraded due to all the modifications.
    Amen to that! I haven't worked with website management software but I have had a lot of experience upgrading and migrating business management software and I can assure you that it is an absolute nightmare if it has been hacked (in the old-fashioned sense of the word )

Anyway, my recommendation would be to look at what is in the current beta release before even considering such an action?

Wofle, you can turn display of reps on and off per usergroup, you can't actually turn the reps on and off per user.

Make them worth something or dump them. They are kinda like a traffic cop on valium, IMHO.

Wow, that's 4 meaningless posts in 4 minutes, am I post-whoring now. xiphias is rubbing off on me. LOL. (yes, it's a joke. please don't stop playing xbox long enough to read this)

The dude abides.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Wofle, you can turn display of reps on and off per usergroup, you can't actually turn the reps on and off per user.
    Version 3.6.4 has it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User: AOadmin has reputation disabled.

Yes, display is disabled. All that does is hide your greenies or reds. The rep system is still functional

Hmmmm,

Well if it's JPnyc you are talking about than that is quite understandable........ he is thoroughly disreputable

One thing I have always wondered about, is when it says that "XYZ has a reputation beyond repute"................ does it mean that they have turned full circle and come out the dark side?