Thread: Umlaüts and Gravés on Vista?

Smile Umlaüts and Gravés on Vista?

Hi,

I'm a Mac person and I've tried finding a solution to this with no luck so far.

On our new work PC running Vista and my girlfriends old Win 98 box, you can do ü and é type characters by typing Shift " u for an umlaut etc.

On my girlfriend's new laptop, it doesn't work and you have to type alt - 0225 (or whatever the correct character code is).

Is there a setting somewhere I can change to make that shortcut happen? Have tried looking at keyboard setting etc and other obvious places but with no luck - and no luck on Google either.

Both the work and home ones are Dell and bought within a month of each other so it confuses me even more :-)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Niggles

Hmmm,

I am confused here................ the machine that doesn't work is running Vista? and is a Dell Laptop?

Have you tried going into the keyboard settings and changing them?

Yes, it's a Dell Laptop running Vista. I looked at Internationalisation settings and keyboard setup, but none seem to enable the shortcut. The fact that a similar model had it working by default confuses me more :-)

It WILL do them, but only with the sequence of numbers that represents the character code rather than pressing Shift " u to do an ü.

Cheers,
    Niggles

Please take a look at these:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...windows-vista/

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8b03a1033.mspx

Have you considered that it might be some sort of add-in?

Also check that you have added the language to those supported.