Thread: Top 10 Security Trends

Top 10 Security Trends

From the mothership...

Top 10 Security Trends - eITplanet.com

Botnets, breaches, spam and virtualization all rank. Got your own top 10?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    This meant that 70.5 percent of all email was spam
    OUCh!

Bots perpetrate a wide variety of malicious activity. Bots knocked Estonia off the online map
    I assume they dont host any websites anymore

The best example was when Wabi Sabi Labi was introduced. It offered an auction-style system for selling vulnerability information to the highest bidder. The resulting controversy sparked much discussion about the ethics of such practices. Regardless of the rights and wrongs, look for more of this kind of activity in 2008.
    Going to google this one
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    70.5%? That seems low. I thought the numbers were higher, 80-90%? Seriously, if we eliminated most of the spam, we'd probably see speeds increase. And it's interesting that Spyware doesn't make the cut.

Are we seeing less spyware because people have stopped using browsers that act as conduits for it (e.g., IE)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes, I thought that spam e-mail was a much higher percentage than that; also no mention of spamming websites, blogs and the like which I have noticed a considerable increase in.

Also "breaches" isn't really a security trend in my book. I strongly suspect that current disclosure requirements and more publicity has just caused what has been going on for years to surface

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Yes, I thought that spam e-mail was a much higher percentage than that; also no mention of spamming websites, blogs and the like which I have noticed a considerable increase in.

Also "breaches" isn't really a security trend in my book. I strongly suspect that current disclosure requirements and more publicity has just caused what has been going on for years to surface
    Indeed. Although I would question who is more likely to be affected by "spamming websites, blogs and the like": the individual or the corporation? The list is for the corporation and I don't see too many organizations with public blogs that get hugely affected or, if they are, they may lump it in with general web annoyances.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I hope you will permit me a little cynicism Msm?

These lists and reports do tend to aim at the Corporate, because that is where the money for preventative software is to be made?

Now, I have no objection to that per se, and I appreciate that your average personal blogger/website owner isn't likely to pay out for commercial software if they can at all help it.

But, what about small/sole traders?............ there are gazillions more of them than corporates............. is this a whole new market waiting to be exploited? And a new type of security software?

Go for it guys.................

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    And a new type of security software?
    More info Nihil! What would you suggest or are you secretly brainstorming behind the scenes?

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"The best example was when Wabi Sabi Labi was introduced."

Sounds like a strange Asian sexual technique. Was I the only one who jumped to that thought?

<sigh>...I need to get out more.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor