Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N+ Exam

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Aye, CCNA is WAY better than N+
    BUT
    if, as I was / am, you are a complete noob at networking, then N+ has its place, but it is expensive for what is, classed as a 'basic intro cert'

and MS certs require a pass of 700
    it is NOT a %, as 100% is not 1000. best pass in the course I was on was a 981, and on the score card it gives a bar graph effect of the questions by type, so you know where you were strongest, and his was not full across all bars by any means, a LOT more black bar than I got though

there is some wierd and wonderful algorythm running in the background as you test, and it will load some questions more than others dependant on the various checks built into it

and the exam itself was a strange experience, each question is piped in from MS direct, as you answer one question, so th enext one is brought over, it is NOT stored on the site, and everyone in the room got SIMILAR questions, NOT the same ones, not even in the same ratio [system / network / security etc]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AOs Resident Troll
    Mr Fox is right... with the MS testing the questions vary and are similar...but not the same questions are used ...novell used the same stategy ...I guess to prevent users from memorizing answers

Out of 13 of us only 3 passed both tests...first round...

they are not easy....and you really have to know the lingo ...and pay attention to the trick questions

Novell was actually a harder test...IMHO

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; February 8th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Tough luck Cider ... I'm planning to write Security+ next month. There's a lot to learn and I've heard that the questions are pretty ambiguous. Anyway, better luck next time.

I took Security+ after 8 hours training at The Training Camp [now FireBrand Training]
    the 5 answers have two that are pants, and two that are in the zone, but just one correct, no ambiguity in there at all, you just need to knuckle down and BELIEVE in yourself

but th eMS questions were the best because EVERY answer seems to work, so you have to REALLY read the question

and some of them came down to feckin punctuation
    learn to be able to take in a LOT of data pertaining to the ficticious domains too
    and be thankful they keep to the same couple of domains too
    even had a question about the merging of the two domains
    [W2K3 MCSE]
    but do the exam
    if you pass, get online for bragging rights
    if you fail, get online and start re-sitting the practice exams again

but DO them
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

foxy:

Thanks for the info foxy :-D. This is my first certification & I'm pretty nervous about it. I'm basically a Java EE programmer planning to get into the infosec industry (with this cert hopefully). I guess I'd need at least 50 hours of learning before i take the exam, considering the fact that I'm pretty green in this area. I'm learning for the exam myself, so i really don't much hands on access to the plethora of technologies needed for the exam. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed ...

Quote Originally Posted by PacketThirst
    I'm learning for the exam myself, so i really don't much hands on access to the plethora of technologies needed for the exam.
    Couldn't you approach some local companies and ask if they could support your attending as a volunteer for experience, say half a day each week? That's what I did for my A+ and I'm doing the same now for my networking exams. It's turned out to be a good way for me to "play" with hardware and software.

Ignatius:

Thats a very good advice and I've already tried doing that a few years ago while in college. Sadly, companies at my place don't entertain that :-P.

good book for Security+ exam

SYBEX Security+
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security%2B-...2598105&sr=1-1

I was reading the Syngress one. Its a pretty good book with really up to date stuff. Anyway, Sybex is in my list now :-)

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I got both N+ and Security + from sybex exams ... Good books though.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein