Thread: Latest Vulnerabilities...

Exclamation Latest Vulnerabilities...

Just lookin out for everybody...
    SANS just posted some new vulnerabilities in Adobe, Quicktime, and Firefox

*patch, patch, patch*

ouch, 48mb Adobe Reader update!

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3955
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw
    Just lookin out for everybody...
    SANS just posted some new vulnerabilities in Adobe, Quicktime, and Firefox

*patch, patch, patch*

ouch, 48mb Adobe Reader update!

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3955
    --oops, I meant o n l y 32mb
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

Hmmm,

As if Adobe isn't bloated enough. What I have noticed about Adobe updates is that it seems difficult to find if alternative readers have the same vulnerabilities? that sort of makes me slightly uneasy, although I can't say that I normally open .pdf files on the fly, so at least they are getting scanned before/when I open them.

I looked at FF, and the fixed version seems to have installed itself automagically

Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, isn't firefox awesome? Even the most forgetful person on the planet can have the latest and greatest firefox version (unless they have IE...then it's uh oh!)
    I was wondering the exact same thing about the pdf vulnerabilities, because for a while I used the generic linux .pdf reader and lately I installed the Adobe version. I wonder if the linux developers take that into account--I'm sure they do. But still... who knows, the generic versions might even be a little safer--I sure wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks Nihil, your posts are always helpful (including the laser-mounted sharks )
    --Socrates

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Yip FF is updated , didnt even know

Adobe is also set to update automatically.

:/
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Adobe, Quicktime, and Firefox... hmm

For Adobe PDF documents I use Evince to read them, Open Office to write them.

Quicktime, I use VLC.

But I use Iceweasel instead of Firefox, so do I have to try to patch it also?
    Even if it is just a renamed Firefox, does it matter which OS I am using, or is it for all OS's using those products?

I was digging around and I did not see anything stating that it was for any particular OS, just the product themselves. But using Linux, are the products still vulnerable as to a different OS such as Windows or Mac?
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Better safe than sorry

Well, since there are at least 500 viruses for linux (and counting) along with rootkits (which Linux is susceptible to--not to mention if you ever use your root account online ) I would make sure that your browser is always up to date--especially if it doesn't automatically update (some people choose to manually update). So it's important that you update everything no matter the os as long as you know there wont be stability issues (like betas for instance).

I use mplayer on linux, but since I dualboot, i have to make sure everything on xp is also up to date...ughhh

Firefox I know automatically updates at program start (as long as you don't disable it), Adobe updates on a scheduled basis (which means you may be unpatched for awhile, so make sure you manually check for updates every now and then), and for quicktime, you have to run the apple updater (this applies to only Mac and MS since Linux obviously doesn't support Apple's software).

Don't get me started on Win-doze Media Player!
    --glad I don't use M$ very often...only for gaming and iTunes

I'm more comfortable online with Linux

edit: btw Cope, I'm gonna take a look at VLC because mplayer doesn't allow fastforwarding on streams (can be very annoying). I guess the Mandriva package will install on PCLOS since it is based on it...
    I don't know much about Iceweasel, only used it a few times...go to
    Help, About, (or wherever iw stores the about info) and check your version number, then make sure it's the latest, that's all I can offer about that
    Last edited by C:\Saw; February 13th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
    --Socrates

Oh and don't forget, today was patch tuesday,
    there is a Patch Now! warning for IE
    --Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw
    Oh and don't forget, today was patch tuesday,
    there is a Patch Now! warning for IE
    Thanks for the reminder. Sure enough, that annoying yellow little shield was hiding in my systray...

Thanks for the reminder. Sure enough, that annoying yellow little shield was hiding in my systray...
    Ha, thank god for that double edged blade called automatic updates =)