Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got a job

Thanks much

The experience end should pay of well. It's not what I'm going to stop with in any way, I mean I'm still looking, and I applied for another one this morning as a Linux admin, which is obviously more of what I'd like to do, but for now it's alright and I can't complain as money is money heh.

Blast From the Past
    Congrats Gore ^_^

I too have recently segwayed from Unemployment.

Cigna Health I.T. Dept. making 13.25 an hour doing desktop support. w000t!
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Thanks dude.

Well, I got paid today. I think he's catching on that I know the busniess end of this as well and could easily open up shop doing this myself, which I intend to anyway, but he seemed to rely on tech people not knowing much about running a business which he told me flat out anyway, so anyway, this pay was for two jobs, one was a laptop that was 90 dollars, and my 1/3 was 30, the other job was 65 dollars, so I got 1/3 of that too.

He instead paid me 65 dollars and sucked up on how good I am and how I do really nice work...

The restore CDs came in too for a desktop he sent me home with.

He said his old tech looked at it and said it needed 2 gigs of new RAM, and a new 400 GB HD because it got a worm on the 200 GB drive it currently had in it that had "destroyed the hard drive and RAM"...

I said that was crap and that formatting a drive takes everything off, and he said "Oh no, the old tech's friend sent an email saying that formatting triggers the worm and that if you just put a new HD in this machine it'll infect the new drive too!"...

I said that's crap too but nope, him and the customer seem to be convinced I'm wrong and so I told him to go ahead and order the new drive and I finally got the old one out after wrestling with the front panel which didn't want to come off and of course the HD was mounted to the front of the machine.

So anyway, I'll slap in the new 200 GB HD because I'm wrong and don't know what I'm doing, and I'll take the new hardware and call t a stupidity tax.

That 200 gig drive should look nice in one of my machines after I format it and put Linux on it or just add it to my Slackware server and format it.

And if the RAM gets ordered, I'll put the new ram in if they want.... Hey, 2 gigs of RAM would also look awfully nice in one of the machines here.

I'll just charge that as a stupidity tax I tried to say it was crap and just needed a format and some clean up but nope they think I'm wrong, so I'll take some new hardware no problem and get paid extra for having to take out the old hardware and install new stuff. Hell I get to charge extra for that AND keep the old hardware.

I'm really starting to wonder why I didn't do this before...

nice
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

In case anyone is wondering:

Axel.Dav is what the problem seems to be. I just re-read the email he printed out for me from his friend saying "DO NOT format the hard drive! That is what triggers the worm!!!!!!"....

The mail goes on to say (Abuot the old tech) that "Someone who isn't good with computersb such as you shouldn't try and fix this by hand, replace the hardware and be careful because this will also infect the new hard drive not installed yet".

*Sigh*

I should be more mad that they don't believe me and instead believe this crap, but then again, my Wife DID need another Hard Drive in Her main desktop since She's running low on space.

AND they ARE totally willing to pay for the work it's taking me to pull out the HD in the pain in the ass case, so basically, I'm getting paid quite a bit to do this.

I saw an old ticket where all the old tech did was hook up a printer and re-install Windows ME and they charged 260 dollars.

So me wrestling with this case to get the front panel off since it was a pain in the ass because I had to open the side case, use my hand and a screw driver to press on little plastic things to get it to pop off, take out the 200 GB Barracuda Hard Drive they had in there, then I have to wait for the new drive to come in, install that drive, put the case back together again, format the new drive, use the restore CDs to put Windows and drivers back on this thing, and then they also think that this new drive is going to get infected, so they think I'll be cleaning this freshly formatted box, and then install spyware scanners, update those, and install free anti virus and update all that and install Windows updates and patches...

This is easily going to be 300 or more dollars and they wouldn't listen to me saying it would be cheaper, AND they have to pay for the new HD, and so they're probably looking at 400 dollars...

I mean after the drive is done and Windows is back on, that is a LOT of updates. And then I have to go through putting other stuff on it and updating that too, and like I said the other one charged 260 for hooking up a printer and re-installing Windows ME so this is easily 300 or more. I should make some decent cash on this one + that old HD is getting formatted and I can keep that so it works out nice.

My turn to speak!

Well, I am amazed by the thread. I never knew that gore did not have a job before this! And secondly what surprises me even more is: ITS his first computer job! Anyway congrats gore.

And yeah, as far as that ISO image thing is concerned, I bet there is none and can't be one easier than what negative has mentioned. I have used that software for two years to distribute my CDs to my friends without having to burn them . I just created images and copied it to their USBs. The software will create a complete copy of the CD/DVD and keeps the bootable DVD bootable even after the ISO file is saved (that what nero is missing). Even today when I do not have Windows installed on my real machine, I use the same method using the Virtual one. I just connect the DVD drive to the virtual machine, put in the disk, create the image in the VM and transfer it to the real machine using the virtual network. Thats seriously easy. I am unable to find anything which could be used to create an ISO image (not the one with dd command) so that I can be faster and reduce my dependence on Windows for that.

Anyway Have a nice time gore.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Thanks

Lol yea this is in fact my first computer job. The only thing to come close was when I worked at my Aunt and Uncle's cell phone shop, I got to screw with cell phones sometimes and once in a while a pager, and since the name of the business had the word Computer in it a lot of people thought they sold computers and hardware, which they didn't, it was in the name because they offered a monitoring service done by a computer.

So whenever people came in asking computer questions, my Aunt and Uncle generally told them they had no idea what they were asking about, unless I was there, then I gave them advice.. That's about it though lol.

I spent most of the slow days by myself. It got to the point that my Aunt and Uncle didn't even want to show up anymore so they had me open for them and stay there all day until the end of the day when it was time to close. I helped close up after a long day playing Doom and Quake and Wolfenstein on a 486 he had in there and walking to the store across from the cell shop which was a hobby store with a Mountain Dew machine so I went in there a lot to get Mountain dew and AMP so I could stay awake in there in case a customer came.

And of course once in a while I had my fun with phone company employees who came in to try and get them to sell a new service and my Uncle would let me screw with them for a while before telling them to get out so we could get back to playing Doom.

I do sometimes miss screwing with the AT%T pay phone my Uncle bought and had installed in the mall. It was HIS pay phone so I got to play with that too He let me mess with it for a while sometimes if it was really slow.

The best part was that telemarketers would for some reason call the PAY PHONE and we just couldn't help ourselves, we acted like shoppers walking through the mall answering it to see who was calling a pay phone.

Oddly enough these people STILL tried to make a sale even though as far as they knew we were people shopping in a mall and answering the pay phone.

He let me take it apart once too after an idiot kid stuffed something in it trying to break it which was nice.

Other than that I've mostly done restaurant jobs. I'm a pretty good cook, but I hate doing it for a job.

Ah well, called my boss back to tell him to order that shiny new HD =)

Hey gore, I suppose you wont mind if I ask about your education? Now thats because I am surprised .... u r such a genius and I think u would have been in a big company working on big networks and all such stuff. But u say u r working in a small shop? I just do not understand the relation between your knowlege and ur job :|
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein