Thread: new hardware...

new hardware...

In an attempt to help I think inspiring conversation would do so...

I am looking at processors and most all hardware for that matter, are getting so much smaller! dualcore etc, are all being able to do so much with so little space.

What does everyone think about this, and where do you think it will be in the future (near or far)?

a few things to think about: when will the space on a chip run out? Can something else handle processes better? how can technology branch out in new, better directions?

I am always fascinated by our (human beings) ability to develop newer, faster, better ways to get things done. That is evolution, after all. Our ablities and technologies have grown at an exponential rate in the few (couple hundred thousand or so) years we (as a species) have existed.

But more to the point, I am watching the progression of nano-technology with great interest. It seems to me that science-fiction doesn't take too long to become factual. The possibilities are quite endless, really. Whenever I think about this line of questioning I think about "The Last Question" by Issac Asimov, as I'm sure quite a few people here do.

Like I said, the possibilities are endless, and I can't quite wrap my head around it...it's just too huge (and vague) of a concept.

I do, however, think that with all of our collective genius and all of our talent (as a species), we still lack basic skills necessary to progress to that mythological "next level". We are still a Type 0 civilization, after all.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Great input, anyone else care to add?

When I was younger I remember my dad telling me something that his Grandpa told him when he was younger. It had to do with his Grandpa reading Buck Rodgers books and Buck Rodgers flying to the moon on a rocket and how the book was classified as Fiction at the time.

Its quite interesting how Fiction becomes Reality. So I would imagin that what we consider Fiction NOW could quite possibly become Reality.

thats just my $0.02 worth
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

I haven't seen anything about it recently, but a while back there was quite a bit of talk about research on electro-biological systems, particularly storage, although computing was also being looked at.

I am sure that I have seen sci-fi films with such devices in them.

The concept intrigued me, as today's computers are electro-mechanical, yet the human brain is electro-biological. I will take a look and post any interesting links that I can find

Not quite what I was looking for, but this site looks interesting:

http://www.conceptlab.com/
    Last edited by nihil; February 6th, 2008 at 05:24 PM.

I think that humans are going to share a more intimate connection with our machines. For instance you already see medicine trying to use computers to correct some disabilities. Imagine being able to have some hardware implanted to make it possible for a blind person to see or a deaf person to hear. Maybe give someone the use of their arms or legs. Just maybe allow us to get rid of these cumbersome boxes altogether. I wonder if it will one day be possible to to have a human network where everyone is conected so that all knowlege can be shared. Just think of how powerful a problem solving machine that would be. If you only use a small percentage of your brain why not share the rest.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    And then skynet bombs us all

EDIT

http://www.conceptlab.com/cockroach/

WoW. I know its 2003 but I did get a few goosebumps while reading the findings. Thanks for the link Nihil.
    Last edited by Cider; February 12th, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by stumpylizard
    I think that humans are going to share a more intimate connection with our machines. For instance you already see medicine trying to use computers to correct some disabilities. Imagine being able to have some hardware implanted to make it possible for a blind person to see or a deaf person to hear. Maybe give someone the use of their arms or legs. Just maybe allow us to get rid of these cumbersome boxes altogether. I wonder if it will one day be possible to to have a human network where everyone is conected so that all knowlege can be shared. Just think of how powerful a problem solving machine that would be. If you only use a small percentage of your brain why not share the rest.
    I like the way you think. You have to remember, however, that the more you give to the "greater good", the less of an individual you are. Asimov portrayed an idyllic future wherein all of humanity's problems have been solved and humanity worked as a whole to attain the 'next level'. In reality, we haven't gotten even close yet...hence my determination that we are a Type 0 civilization. At this point in our history, could you willingly give up your individuality to support the ultimate "greater good" that has been idealized?

Lots of things look good on paper, but when they are implemented in current reality they can't work. I would love it if they could.

Current biotech is very impressive, and has helped many people. It's just the tip of the iceberg, however. We will go much further in our innovations and understanding before any technological roadblock stands in the way. But it will happen. We can only push biological/technological advancements so far.

After that roadblock is hit, who knows? I will have been dead for a very long time, so it's purely speculative to me...

ANYWAY...I'm rambling.

Welcome to AO, stumpylizard!

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi all

Nihil I have been fascinated by that website!

That frog with the "webserver" inside him - arent they harmed ?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein