Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux doesn't work with hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee
    My old notebook has been running DSL for a while, and I like it's light duty, quick and dirty interface.
    Ahhh, yes Damn Small Linux is my second favorite distro...I love that little 50 mb monster!
    The only thing is I wanted it as a portable os for my pendrive, but I could not get that thing to boot correctly...tried everything. So I ended up putting Puppy linux on my keydrive and it works fantastically. I tried dsl in qemu (linux emulator in windows) and I loved its simplicity. Oh, and about the screen resolutions, you just have to experiment around with those (what works in windows does not always work in linux lol)
    About wifi, you will be very hardpressed to not find a solution somewhere...it's out there!

4dc, never believe those people at the big companies when it comes to linux, whoever told you it wont work prob. never has even used linux...it can work, always
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Even back in the old days often the only information you needed from the ISP was the DNS address in order to get Linux running fine. I can remember that question confusing the first person I talked to though. If you want a solid stable system and don't mind using your keyboard, you can't go wrong with Slackware.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

I think people here forgot my favorite distro (and guess one of gore as well): openSUSE. I can say that if you have an internet connction and u can download some 10-12 MB of data (for multimdia libraries), SUSE has everything almost any distribution offers and one thing I have loved in it is its installer: YaST2. Nothing comes even closer to it.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

-- download in progress --

[openSUSE KDE, CD, 695mb]

...only 4 hours and counting
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

Of course SUSE is great, it's German engineering

I use mainly SUSE, Slackware, and FreeBSD. Those are my main desktops / servers.

But hey, Hust today I got a desktop for my friend. He runs a MSI motherboard with a ATI gFX controller and his monitor was not set up properly. I tried Sabayon. It did not even start. SO I next tried SUSE for the great support. I installed openSUSE on it and monitor was being used by the OS and we could see everything and I configured the graphics properly but the refresh rate I think was set to 60. He has a CRT monitor and it hurts my eyes. SO I was thinking whether I could get a driver for that thing on openSUSE coz openSUSE is working great on it.

- Albert Einstein

Happy to announce that after my download completed and install disc run...opensuse has won my desktop war: it has defeated PCLinuxOS!

Oh, what can I say? I love it...
    detected absolutely everything on my laptop, something that no other distros have done. Plain and simple: must have for every linux-lover!

I miss synaptic though :frown:
    --Socrates

Synaptic?

I think in one of the third part things for YAST2 they have that ported.

use smart on openSUSE... you may also have the apt-get for openSUSE from their site.

Howeer it has the one-click feature which is just great. So You can very well use that feature to install any software without adding additional package managers

- Albert Einstein

Yup

And just so there isn't any problems:

OneClick is a new feature of 10.3 but I think you can add it to 10.2 just in case someone was wondering about that