Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux doesn't work with hardware?

Linux doesn't work with hardware?

I've heard this a million times; "I don't use Linux because my hardware doesn't work with it and it's really hard to set up the stuff that does work and it's hard to use".

Just so I can clear up why I'm posting this, this is what has just happened to me:

My Wife and I are enjoying the fact I don't have to be up at the ass crack of dawn this weekend, so we're in the tech room relaxing, She's playing WoW and I'm burning CDs of the 10 or ISOs of Linux and BSD I downloaded earlier.

Here's the thing:

My main desktop that I use for everything production; Like work, I use Novell's mail client and super feature rich stuff to check my email, and then use the calendar built in to set up appointments for customers and also make memos and notes.

The machine has a Windows HD and a Linux HD, and anyway, I was burning CDs and K3B seemed to be going a little slow.

So I'm sitting here and I remember "Oh yea, I brought that USB CD / DVD burner from my old bedroom at my Mom's house!"

Now, some background info:

This thing was pretty cheap. I bought it about 3 or so years ago because I wanted a DVD burner and, well, I could afford this one, and I liked the fact that it was USB thinking "I can hook this up to all the machines to do back ups!".

That wasn't the case of course. It had to be used with Windows XP, and needed some resources some of the machines just don't have.

Well, my laptop met the requirements easily, so I set it up on there, popped in a DVD, and decided to do a back up.

It didn't work. I tried multiple times, checked the docs it came with, but it wouldn't work at all.

I was like OK, fine, whatever, and set it aside all that time.

It said basically Windows XP or nothing. So I didn't try Linux.

Well, I grabbed it and the cables, hooked it all up, plugged it into this machine running OpenSUSE 10.3, and then reached in the back of it and flicked the power. I set it on top of the case because it fits good there.

Nothing happened, so I was thinking "Yup, didn't work" until I opened the Computer area that shows hardware you hook in and DVD and CD drives and USB stuff.

It showed up...

OK, thinking to self it can NOT be that easy...

I right click and go to properties and sure enough it was, I selected auto mount in case I wanted to unhook it later, but decided what the hell I'll check it out.

I pop in a CD and sure enough the dialog box pops up asking if I'd like to burn one, and which type I'd like to burn.

I cancel that and just open my /home directory, click on an ISO file which in KDE pops open K3B and checks the MD5 sum for you and then all you have to do is click on burn because the speed and everything else auto set to "auto" so you don't have to change a thing. Which already makes it easier than Windows where you have to figure out which option will allow you to burn images depending on which software you're using, so anyway, I click on it, it pops up, checks the MD5 sum for me even though I didn't download it and then I click burn.

It starts writing the CD no problems at all...

This thing isn't supposed to even work in Linux or anything else for that matter if it wasn't XP, yet without installing anything, just plugging it in and turning it on, it worked without me doing a thing to it, and I just finished burning like 5 Linux distros and I'm about to start burning Free BSD 6.3 RELEASE so I can toy with that.

I'm seriously considering installing Linux on my Mom's computer again.

When Her machine started messing up I tossed SUSE on it. IT was Her old machine, a Celeron 433 MHz box with 192 RAM and a 9 gig HD.

Well now She has XP on a brand new Dell, it's slow as crap because there is hardly any RAM, and I spent an hour fixing Her Machine because Windows Update said a new driver for the Printer She has was ready to download and I was dumb enough to let the thing install.

It stopped working, and un-plugging the printer and trying to refresh and everything else wouldn't work.

finally I used system restore to go back to before I had installed the updates for Her and then selected it to stop showing hardware updates since, well, I'm tired of fixing XP.

I'm thinking of just installing SUSE on there so I can update it from here, but I need to check if Her printer works with it. After this I wouldn't be real shocked if it does just fine, but I want to check first anyway.

I've done this before too. My cousin got a computer and after exactly 7 days he had gotten 12 Trojans and about 1200 spy ware apps installed.

I formatted the drive and put Linux on there and he stopped having problems. I'd just SSH in to run the updates for software and didn't have to drive there anymore to click on update for Windows and his anti virus which he never scanned with or updated.

My Mom accidentally deleted the desktop link to Ad-Aware once and went online thinking it was un-installed, so she downloaded something that wasn't Ad-Aware, and installed it... Took 3 hours to clean it off there and re-install the real one.

I have to because She goes to web sites all the time full of spy ware and junk. She also believes a lot of that online "found money" bull.

So putting Linux on there would really make it easier on me, I could update it from here over SSH and She couldn't infect Herself all the time.

Anyway, after what happened just now, I had to do a post about it. I mean really, my dreams of being a *NIX Wizard and *NIX admin and security admin (You need goals in life) help me sleep better at night knowing that I don't think twice about my machines having a problem, and that it's so much easier when it's *NIX.

Ordered some new DVDs from Sun today too

Anyway, I wanted to talk about that and wonder how Windows Admins are ever sober after what I've seen this week with my new job. Thank God I don't have to put up with this crap at home

Hi gore,

Yes, I come across the "doesn't work with linux" thing from time to time.

Basically it is true, but generally only regarding modems/routers that were designed specifically for Windows.

It is not legal to decompile the software/firmware and produce a linux version.

Just buy something that is Linux compatible and away you go.

Personally, I am not terribly surprised that an automobile designed to run on gasoline does not do too well when you fill it with diesel

I blame America! we see your TV and movies and keep hearing "gas"..........

We then go to France and fill up with "gas". Unfortunately, the French for "petrol" is "essence" and "gas" is diesel

Lol thanks for clearing that up

Ah heck, the local nerd herd boys are always telling me it won't work in linux, but I bring it home and give it awhirl. Most times it works, there have been a few times when I had to take it back to get something different (wireless card). The wifi cards have been my biggest hassle. I can usually get them working with ndiswrapper but then they may be crippled as far as using some programs like ethereal (wireshark). I did have one printer that I never got working real well one time, but a few months went by and they had a driver out by then. Generally given enough time someone will come out with the right driver for most cheap hardware out there. At least that has been my experience.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Gore you are really making me want to move over to Linux ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Switch now! Linux is everything windows wishes it was
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Downloaded Kubuntu, gonna give it a bash at home
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

*A fine choice indeed, though I have to give my recommendations for PCLinuxOS-- it is my desktop of choice! Try it out if you don't like Kubuntu
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Been toying different Disto's at home, wanting to make the move over. Not because I don't like Windows, but because I am BORED of windows.

So far on my Notebook it is a toss up between Slax, Ubuntu or DreamLinux since the wife and kids like to use it. My old notebook has been running DSL for a while, and I like it's light duty, quick and dirty interface.

Other then WiFi cards driving me nuts and screen resolution being funky on the notebooks, I pretty much have found things work as they should.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I was given the FUD lecture when I was connecting with Verizon aDSL won't work with Linux yada yada yada... especially with my dual boot system

I had to load a CD and play with lots of settings to get things to work for the windows partition of that system. For grins I rebooted (Suse at that time) into Linux. No warnings or announcements, it was just there. Later when I replaced Suse with Ubuntu same deal it just works....

I guess if I called Verizon tech support they wouldn't be able to help me. Since I only ever needed help with the Windows bloatware they gave me, thats ok.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot