Thread: installing hard disk external case

Smile installing hard disk external case

Hi I recently bought a 3.5HDD USB2.0 to IDE external case (jupiter, lexcron). However I have some problems installing the hard disk to it. I plugged in the power connector and the 40pin cable but the disk isn't detected. Instead my cd-rom (D:\)cannot be read due to I/O error while the usb is plugged in. Can anyone tell me how to install the hard disk into the eternal case? Do I have to do something about the jumper?
    Thanks in advance!

I have moved this into "hardware"

Please check that the jumper on the drive is not set to "master".............. that is a fairly common cause of confusion.

I am not sure why your CD drive is playing up, but it might be because the system isn't sure what the USB drive is.

And if it is a western digital then take off the jumpers completely to set it to "single"

what should be the correct jumper configuration then? no jumper because its a slave?

That would depend on the make and model of drive you have. The various settings should be marked on it.

Dead Man Walking
    Actually you would want to set the jumpers to cable select. I have worked with several brands of these adapters and that is what has always worked for me. I have had this exact same problem when trying to manually set the jumper config and it seems to just go away when you set it to cable select.

All of this is of course assuming that you are using a relatively standard HDD on a windows based system. Not being super familiar with Linux and the way it addresses hardware I could not tell you for certain there. More details would be VERY helpful.

I have plugged it into 'cable select' and fixed the problem. Thanks for all your advice.