Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what if i dont want to press f6 during a windows install

what if i dont want to press f6 during a windows install

I would like to know how to add my third party scsi drivers to be loaded by my install disk. My machine does not normaly have a floppy drive and I would like to install xp without opening the case again. Any help would be appreciated.

If you don't want to press F6 AND load third party drivers maybe you should pick a different OS. If Windows doesn't have support for the thing you're trying to install drivers for then you're just going to have live with pressing that button, or...

You can haxxor teh Windowz XP installation CD and haxx0r teh dr1v3r5 into teh K3rn3l

...Seriously this is JUST because you don't want to press a button?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpylizard
    I would like to know how to add my third party scsi drivers to be loaded by my install disk. My machine does not normaly have a floppy drive and I would like to install xp without opening the case again. Any help would be appreciated.
    As gore commented..

Here is my slant.. You could burn the drivers to a CD or copy to a usb drive.. (haven't tried the later)... the cd option sometimes have issues if you dont have a 2nd cd/dvd drive..

or you can..

slipstream the drivers into your XP install CD.. sofware .try. nlite.. a good start.. have a good read..
    http://www.nliteos.com/

MS also have info on slipstreaming ... I don't have the links to hand and too busy to search.. sry ..google it?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

nLite is a good solution IMHO.

You can slipstream the latest service pack as well as your drivers

Just to comment on what Nihil said:

That's a VERY good idea. Most Windows machines don't last to long on the net before something happens. You probably don't have time to even download all those updates and reboot for all of them before something tries to grab your box.

It's like putting a Redneck cop in the middle of Detroit with a huge badge and no gun.

Or I can maybe simplify this further:

Imagine your computer getting a prostate exam by Dr Captain Hook.

I've done fresh installs and I generally have at LEAST a hardware firewall blocking it to get updates installed. I also have SP2 on CD.

Banned
    You probably don't have time to even download all those updates and reboot for all of them before something tries to grab your box.
    Any idiot would know to disable the upnp and dcom services.

Wellllll, I Guess if YOU know about that....

(Obviously I'm kidding if I actually need to point that out, to the others, I know YOU know that).

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    That's a VERY good idea. Most Windows machines don't last to long on the net before something happens. You probably don't have time to even download all those updates and reboot for all of them before something tries to grab your box.
    I am sorry but I have been a computer tech for 6 years and I have never seen such a thing happen. I am not sure where you get your information from.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki
    I am sorry but I have been a computer tech for 6 years and I have never seen such a thing happen. I am not sure where you get your information from.
    I have heard about this as well, never tried myself, but a google search pulled this link:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5313402.html
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST