Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M$ Fined Again... :)

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Talking M$ Fined Again... :)

Mods may want to move this to the General Forum

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Did not see an existing post about this, so let me know if there is and i will get rid of it....

Cheers,

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The thing I always want to ask is: will 1.3+Billion dollar fine actually make MS clue in that this isn't acceptable behaviour?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I have $5.00 USD (€3.31) that says good ol' Bill pulled out his wallet on the spot, wrote the check and then fired a few people... End of story... lol

LOL @ ArPaNET - most likely.

An interesting comment on the website from a reader also (Pro MS obviously)
    Withdraw from European market. Tell the EU to get stuffed, and that they ain't getting a dime. Enjoy using open-source software you suckers. Easily solved.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Withdraw from European market. Tell the EU to get stuffed, and that they ain't getting a dime. Enjoy using open-source software you suckers. Easily solved.
    Hmmm................. guess he wouldn't pass grade school economics?

Apart from North America, Europe is the only significant part of the planet that actually pays for M$ software............. everyone else just pirates it, or is of no economic consequence.

Maybe I'm the only one who has a problem with this...

I was pretty sure the way it worked was:

Make a product
    Make it unique
    Sell it.
    Make lots of money until the competition realizes how to duplicate it.

I personally disagree with the EU...

I kinda got the original fight years ago that IE shouldn't come with Windows (although today most users would be lost if they didn't have a browser by default)

I kinda got the Windows Media Player debate.

I really don't get this... I think the information that's being shared is awesome... but I don't think it's right... It's like requiring Coke to share it's formula because Pepsi just isn't as good. Or having Nike share it's shoe designs so that sweatshops can more easily knock it off.

You can be pro linux / pro open source all you want... but you have to realize that this isn't the way the rest of the world works... so why should it have to be the way Microsoft operates...

I really don't get this... I think the information that's being shared is awesome... but I don't think it's right... It's like requiring Coke to share it's formula because Pepsi just isn't as good. Or having Nike share it's shoe designs so that sweatshops can more easily knock it off.

You can be pro linux / pro open source all you want... but you have to realize that this isn't the way the rest of the world works... so why should it have to be the way Microsoft operates...
    Not Quite...... The reason M$ need to release certain code to the market - This is to allow other companies to build software that is compatible to RUN on the operating system. Not to try and duplicate the software being released.... So your pepsi/coke analogy is not the best fit.

What is the point of having an operating system you pay for, if there are no programs to run simply because the OS makers wont release certain code?

I seem to find that im fence sitting on this one :/ *odd*

Cheers
    CTO
    - Albert Einstein

CTO

The reason M$ need to release certain code to the market - This is to allow other companies to build software that is compatible to RUN on the operating system. Not to try and duplicate the software being released.
    Absolutely! and please do not forget the hardware part of the equation. You need to give manufacturers sufficient advanced notice of your final product to let them develop reliable drivers, management software, and the like.

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that the EU are fining M$ for not adopting what I would have thought would be a superior business strategy for them.

As in: "Be especially nice with your fellow (non-competitive) vendors, and drive a wedge between them and open source"

I doubt if any EU fine will have much of an impact on M$'s attitudes or business model, but the Vista launch fiasco certainly will.

I am also following the "Vista ready" class action with interest as it looks like several cans of worms will be opened. The judge unsealed several e-mails the other day................

HTRegz:

Make a product
    Make it unique
    Sell it.
    Make lots of money until the competition realizes how to duplicate it.
    And then try to sue their ar$e$ off?

That is a "Phase One" business model........... sure it works just fine........... to begin with, but has the fundamental flaw of being inertial rather than dynamic, progressive, and proactive.

If you want to see a classic example, might I suggest that you take a look at SCO, who are now being traded on Pink Sheets.

In my view, Microsoft grew very quickly, but lost direction because they failed to grow and refine their business model along with their revenue. The business equivalent of "sitting on your laurels"?

Lawsuits and underhand dealings are not the way to go............... Microsoft are far too large for that to stand any chance of working.

My criticism is not that "Microsoft are doing too well because they are too big". My argument is that they are big enough to do far better.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    CTO

Absolutely! and please do not forget the hardware part of the equation. You need to give manufacturers sufficient advanced notice of your final product to let them develop reliable drivers, management software, and the like.
    This is something that still gets me... How hardware manufacturers are still crying that it was Microsofts fault they weren't ready to support Vista... It's pure bullshit... They had access to Vista for a long time (I know when we had access to it, and I bet a number of hardware manufacturers had it before that). The number of people who complained about printers not work was astounding... It's really funny to watch.

Printer Owner -- My printer doesn't work with Vista
    Printer Company -- Microsoft didn't give us nearly enough time to develop drivers, so we can't make your printer work. We suggest you purchase one of our new Vista compatible printers.

It's the perfect marketing ploy on the part of the printer companies... they increase printer sales (selling to all those people who are happy with their older printers) and get to lay the blame elsewhere.

It's like my Logitech Quickcam... The installer essentially said (paraphrased):
    "Your webcam is not compatible with Vista, for a list of compatible products please click here". Translation: "We want more money... buy one of these items".

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that the EU are fining M$ for not adopting what I would have thought would be a superior business strategy for them.

As in: "Be especially nice with your fellow (non-competitive) vendors, and drive a wedge between them and open source"
    Microsoft plays well with non-competitive vendors... most of the protocols that have been opened up don't benefit their non-competitive vendors... They benefit open source projects, direct competitors who want to develop replacement software and other operating systems (for Windows Interoperability).

In my view, Microsoft grew very quickly, but lost direction because they failed to grow and refine their business model along with their revenue. The business equivalent of "sitting on your laurels"?

Lawsuits and underhand dealings are not the way to go............... Microsoft are far too large for that to stand any chance of working.

My criticism is not that "Microsoft are doing too well because they are too big". My argument is that they are big enough to do far better.
    I'm all for a good lawsuit to eliminate those who are infringing upon your technology... It's the right approach. As for Microsoft "sitting on it's laurels"... I dont' think they've done that... Since their initial OS offering they've done a good job of expanding business... it has worked and they have grown.. expanding into new area after new area and because of that they have no reason to change their business model... It has brought them nothing but success.

Not to mention Bill Gates started his career in his parents garage (or so the story goes).... i rekon this would amout to alot of paranoia for old Bill as he could be toppled by the same...... Anyone in their shed.... not just multi billion dollar companies
    - Albert Einstein