BIOS Pwd Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS Pwd Help

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Unhappy BIOS Pwd Help

Hey guys,

Ive started working for a new company and they have a notebook that they have been unable to use since the previous employee past away. The notebook is a fairly big asset and the reason they cannot use it; It asks for a password prior to booting.

The Message:
    This computer system, #FX4FN1S-595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the system or administration password and press <enter>
    Computer Details:
    - Dell XPS M2010
    - Bios is MXP061 Rev. A05
    - Service Tag is FX4FN1S

---

Firstly, Is this the bios password or is it some other encryption software that has been installed? My research suggests from the message that it is a generic Dell prompt done through the BIOS.

I have removed the battery and left overnight but this has had no effect. I have also obtained a service manual but it does not show any jumpers or methods for removing or resetting the password.

I have a Dell manufaturer disc that is meant to reprogramme the service tag and fix the problem but it will not boot any media prior to the password being entered.

Dell have been very unhelpful (no surprise there) even though my research tells me Dell can generate a master password based on the service tag.

CAN ANYONE HELP?> I can provide as much information as you need, i have the machine in front of me and have no problems opening it up to whack a few jumpers or remove any chips that will help.

This link seemed to be the closest i could get to help (not just page 19);
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50281-19.html

Thanks in advance

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; February 29th, 2008 at 02:10 AM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Also, Having removed the BIOS battery i have reset the defaults and the boot order to 1) Floppy 2) HDD 3) CD

Then after removing the HDD i tried to boot to CD but it still requests a password prior to booting from any other media. So definitely cannot boot from disc without password. Dammit.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Some more helpful links but none for my particular model;
    http://aaaronmiller.wordpress.com/20...latitude-d610/
    http://www.download.centre4service.com
    http://web.archive.org/web/200404290...dell/dell.html

They all seem to point to an eeprom chip called;

24co2 or 24u05 or 24c164 or 24LC16B - Its just a matter of finding it.

Mainboard schematics for my model would be brilliant!

CTO

Dell notebooks are tough like that I believe if you can prove that the notebook belongs to you/your company and you give them the system number they can give you the over-ride password. If not all you can do is replace the chip that stores the password :-/

Well i have stripped the notebook down to all of its little bits and pieces but i still am unable to find the specific chip *cries* I am about to pull the MB out and check on the underside but failing that i will cry some more and then put it all back together and give dell another shot.

Cheers
    - Albert Einstein

Is it the Laptop? Or the Data on the Drive? That is so much of an Asset to your company.. I'm going to go out on a limb and say its probably the data on the drive. Since it sounds like you've already taken the laptop apart why not just put the drive in an external drive case and plug it into another computer... bada bing bada bang... You have your mission critical data.

as far as the laptop goes... you can try to deal with dell to get the bios password reset... good luck
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

Yes, it has an EEPROM chip that is holding the password. First question is did the deceased guy set a password............ or is it the default, which I believe is Dell

Other than that, you might try combinations of his name and initials or just try password.

I don't know that model so I don't know which chip it is using. I have had success in the past with shorting out some of the pins with a paperclip, but I wouldn't know which ones or even if it would work on that model.

I have a generator, but it is for older models with the 5 digit Service Tags

Your best bet would still be Dell IMHO.

Dell hd passwords are disabled by default.

The guy had to set it up either in windows or in the bios, so the password wont be any default like DELL.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

This isn't the hard drive password, it is the BIOS password and is stored on an EEPROM chip.

We know that because CTO posted this:

Then after removing the HDD i tried to boot to CD but it still requests a password prior to booting from any other media.

Yes, Dell can generate this. however most of the front line phone techs do not have the ability to do so. you will have to speak to a suporvisor. they need this info "This computer system, #FX4FN1S-595B, is protected by a password authentication system" and they will have to verify the company name.