Thread: Coolest running processors

Coolest running processors

I'm wondering about something with heat and processors:

Basically, I need a new machine soon. It's getting to where some fo the UT games and newer Id software games are starting to lag and it's just that time where I need to start thinking of a new machine VS upgrading everything.

Anyway, I already have the specs I want in mind and the price because I went to each PC makers web site and put together the system I wanted with their configure it tools.

Anyway, the ONLY thing where I was like "I'm not sure" was processor.

I don't want something where it runs super hot.

So what is the coolest running processor right now? I know AMD used to be well known as a very hot running chip, but is that still the case?

If heat means more to me than price which one would you recommend?

I'm not sure I can go with water cooling because that's still a bit pricey unless you buy it with the system from what I've seen and heard.

But either way I'd still like the processor to be one that runs cooler than the others.

Really, this is what I'd like to know:

If I was choosing between AMD and Intel, which one makes processors that run cooler?

Which of the processors they make actually run cooler?

I mean really I just want a decent system (I plan on spending AROUND 2,000 dollars give or take, which should set me up nicely) that runs cooler.

I already plan on making sure it has extra fans to help, and we keep the tech room temp lower than the rest of the house and pretty much make it where you need socks and a sweater to be comfy in here but I still want to be sure the processor itself runs cooler.

So which processors out now run the coolest? Which ones run the hottest?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gore
    So what is the coolest running processor right now? I know AMD used to be well known as a very hot running chip, but is that still the case?
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=346&pgno=4

I've kept this link for the past few months now in the event that I'd see ugh... a post like yours.

Hmmm,

That is actually a rather interesting and unusual question.

My normal approach is that I don't really care how hot the processor runs, so long as it is well within its design specifications.

As a general rule I never buy the "retail" packs of processor, heatsink, fan and thermal paste. I buy them separately, with the possible exception of a heatsink/fan combo, and always use silver paste.

I think that it would only be a real issue if you were wanting to overclock the processor?

Also remember that airflow is important, so you might like to look at circular rather than ribbon cables and get plenty of cable ties to keep everything neat and tidy.

Other things to look at are cooling fans for your hard drive bays and the cooling system on your video card. The video cooling system will probably be a bit like the usual CPU retail pack heatsink and fan: underpowered.

Nihil, from my reading, case design comes into play too:

Like making sure it's not crammed together, and also a HD cooler isn't to bad in price so I'm probably going to slap one of those in there too and also some video card cooling.

I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do Love Id Software first person shooters and UT.

I don't plan on over clocking the Processor, it's just me realizing most heat sinks and fans seem to be way to low end for the processor they're supposed to protect, so I figured starting with a processor that doesn't run hot and upgrading the cooling system from there would be the best bet on keeping the machine going safely.

Nihil, from my reading, case design comes into play too:
    It certainly does, in particular the size and geometry. I would generally go for a full-size tower system, as they are the easiest to cool (and to work with )

Please remember that the physical location of the PC is important as well. If you don't allow enough room for circulation outside the case, then your machine will be left wallowing in its own hot air, and air cooling is relative to ambient temperature.

it's just me realizing most heat sinks and fans seem to be way to low end for the processor they're supposed to protect
    That is my opinion also, which is why I don't buy the retail "complete packs". On this note might I give a word of warning regarding a mistake I have seen but never made myself (honest boss).

Your processor will have specifications for heatsink/fan combinations that should work. Similarly the heatsink/fan combinations will have processors that they are supposed to protect. I generally look for one that is supposed to protect a faster/hotter processor than the one I am going to install.

Now, this is where you have to be careful............ there are some combos out there that would cheerfully double up as a doorstop. Your MoBo specs should tell you the maximum weight of the combo that it will support. Please respect this advice as breaking CPU pins and cracking the MoBo is just as disastrous as frying things

so I figured starting with a processor that doesn't run hot
    I don't believe that that matters as much as you might at first think. Based on my general understanding of fault tolerance in electronic devices, I would expext that a device designed to run cool from the outset would probably fail at a much lower temperature than one designed to run hot.

One further consideration would be what protection your MoBo and processor manufacturers have built into their products. In the old days you could fry stuff real easy. As far as I am aware, modern processors and good quality MoBos both have thermal cut outs to protect your system.

Another thing to bear in mind is that these components are designed to operate within a range. I seem to remember some research by Google that suggested that HDDs running in low temperatures were just as likely to fail as those running in hot environments.............warm and cosy is the motto?