Windows Hacking Tool Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Hacking Tool Released

Cool Windows Hacking Tool Released

Adam Boileau, a security consultant based in New Zealand has released a tool that can unlock Windows computers in seconds without the need for a password. By connecting a Linux machine to a Firewire port on the target machine, the tool can then modify Windows' password protection code and render it ineffective. Boileau said he did not release the tool publicly in 2006 because 'Microsoft was a little cagey about exactly whether Firewire memory access was a real security issue or not and we didn't want to cause any real trouble'. But now that a couple of years have passed and the issue has not resolved, Boileau decided to release the tool on his website
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/securi...402423638.html

Sounds wicked ... Hope M$ does something about it atleast now

re-inventing the wheel...

there are so many tools to getting around login passwords for windows, it is not even funny! This requires a firewire port too, which makes it a very limited "hack"...

DreamPackPL, requires a CD drive... and is so easy to use!

ArpaNet: If breaking into a windows box is what you have in mind, i agree that there are much better alternatives. But, this is the first (and only?) hack
    affecting the Firewire implementation on windows. Re-inventing the wheel? ... I don't think so.

Yes, it is a huge security vulnerability that requires nothing more than physical access, and a firewire port.

Useless. Physical access has always defeated security.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Interesting,

As I don't use Firewire I wouldn't even have thought about it.

"If you have a Firewire port, disable it when you aren't using it," Ducklin said.
    "That way, if someone does plug into your port unexpectedly, your side of the Firewire link is dead, so they can't interact with your PC, legitimately or otherwise."
    Makes sense.............. another one to add to the list

Useless. Physical access has always defeated security.
    True, but there are different levels of physical access. Someone stealing a laptop and having unrestricted access and time is different from a machine on a desk in an open-plan office.

In the latter case there is a much shorter window of opportunity, and someone might notice if you took out a screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by PacketThirst
    ArpaNet: If breaking into a windows box is what you have in mind, i agree that there are much better alternatives. But, this is the first (and only?) hack
    affecting the Firewire implementation on windows. Re-inventing the wheel? ... I don't think so.

I don't disagree that this is a one of a kind hack, but the outcome is still the same...

maybe not re-inventing, just making the wheel bigger and chrome lol.
    If breaking into a windows box is what you have in mind
    Im sorry is there something else that this hack does?

Im sorry is there something else that this hack does?
    Its not what the hack does, But what it means to the security community. If you have attacking boxes in mind, this is yet another complicated way to gain unauthorized access. But if defending boxes is your job ( like nihil), this is another aspect that you need to pay close attention to.

Yes, I was envisaging locking down boxes. You can block the CD/DVD and USB sticks, but would quite possibly forget Firewire.

It didn't use to be a problem but these days many desktops ship with Firewire ports.

I was thinking mostly in terms of the enemy within

Just Another Geek
    Boileau, a consultant with Immunity Inc., said he did not release the tool publicly in 2006 because "Microsoft was a little cagey about exactly whether Firewire memory access was a real security issue or not and we didn't want to cause any real trouble".
    http://kuza55.blogspot.com/2006/10/ruxcon-2006.html

What I don't understand... Why hasn't this been fixed yet?!?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi SD~

What I don't understand... Why hasn't this been fixed yet?!?
    I would suggest the following or a combination:

1. MS don't see it as a problem, and they are not making any serious money out of Firewire as such............... it is not "core" to their products or business.

2. It is still only a "proof of concept" in that there have been no known and serious incidents involving it.

3. It is a "physical security" issue rather than a software one. I guess MS take the view that if you supply Firewire, then it is like providing a CD/DVD drive and allowing your users to do what they like with that.

4. It might be rather difficult to actually fix if it is fundamental to the architecture.

5. You would need to be reasonably technically aware to be able to pull it off, and have a suitable device? That would imply that you have a rogue employee, which is as much an HR problem as anything else?

6. It is very specific because it is a physical attack. That means that the bad guy has to know how to do it, know exactly which machine(s) to target, and be able to do it without detection. I suggest that makes the probability extremely low.

At the moment I am looking at this as just another potential attack vector, although I must say that I am impressed by its ingeniousness