Gamers Targeted - WoW Players, Guard Those Accounts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamers Targeted - WoW Players, Guard Those Accounts!

Gamers Targeted - WoW Players, Guard Those Accounts!

*Major Security Alert* - Massive Attack Targeting Gamers Uncovered - Chronicles of a Bowman

So far, from what the article reads, high-profile sites were not affected but all online gamers should be careful and make excessive note of activities going on when browsing, and scan your computer to ensure that you havenít been effected already. So far, nothing serious has seemed to happen among Nexonís games, but it has caused widespread account hackings across popular games such as Everquest 2...
    Everquest 2 popular? Visit this site for noobie tips: WoW Rookie: Account Security Basics

Or, as everyone is fond of saying, get a Mac

disable javascript LOL...

In all honesty I am surprised that this hasn't been seen before, online games are a huge market. Especially when it comes to Blizzard games (WoW, Diablo) where there are many online stores selling "virtual gear" to aid you in the game!

Now if I could write a Js to install a keylogger, get the accounts, take their gear, and re-sell it to them... Why hasn't this happened a long time ago?

Just another reason to play DooM!

I just finished whipping some on Doom 2. I can beat that last level in under 2 minutes without cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Just another reason to play DooM!

I just finished whipping some on Doom 2. I can beat that last level in under 2 minutes without cheating.
    Never have seen a Doom II speed run. Color me intrigued...

Sadly, now that online gaming/MMOs are going mainstream, average users are getting ensnared. The same ones with spyware-riddled PCs -- you've had to disinfect a couple for friends, so you know who I'm talking about. Good luck getting them to download and *properly* use NoScript, AdBlocker, etc...

Banned
    In all honesty I am surprised that this hasn't been seen before, online games are a huge market. Especially when it comes to Blizzard games (WoW, Diablo) where there are many online stores selling "virtual gear" to aid you in the game!
    The entire point they are trying to make is that anytime something is spammed in a video game it likely has more to do with fraud and malware than these silly games.

In other words, those are mostly phishing websites.

the original doom was my first taste of a command line/ DOS environment...

Quote Originally Posted by phernandez
    Never have seen a Doom II speed run. Color me intrigued...

Sadly, now that online gaming/MMOs are going mainstream, average users are getting ensnared. The same ones with spyware-riddled PCs -- you've had to disinfect a couple for friends, so you know who I'm talking about. Good luck getting them to download and *properly* use NoScript, AdBlocker, etc...
    I have a video I downloaded showing a guy playing Doom2 on Nightmare, beating the WHOLE game in 29 minutes, in one shot, without dying even once. Blew me away.

And of course you can't cheat when you have it in nightmare so there wasn't any of that, I watched it and was like "Whoa".

I think I can find it online (quick search):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...run&pr=goog-sl

One of those should work. I think that is the same video I have but I didn't watch it all the way through, just watched the first level and it looks about the same.

This person would kick my ass for sure.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm I played WOW for around two years. Gave it up as it was too expensive bandwidth wise.

If my character was stripped about so much playing, I wouldnt be a happy chappy. I wonder what the companies stance is on helping the victims out with gear...

This seems to be a whole new market opening. I knew getting into computer security wasn't a bad career choice.

Thanks for the article
    Last edited by Cider; March 20th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I wonder what the companies stance is on helping the victims out with gear...
    In the terms and agreements you accept before you can play online with most games, it takes all the liability and puts it on the user... they don't care, nor do they have to staff to give everyone their gear back.

People paying actual currency for virtual gear that you can find in the game makes me laugh...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Arpanet it is a true "gold mine", no pun intended. Do you know how much people spend actually on gold for the game, its ridiculous. Im in the wrong business
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein