Thread: Limiting bandwidth on a wlan router for other users

Hybrid View

Angry Limiting bandwidth on a wlan router for other users

hey guys having bit of a problem and need help.

Basically im using a d-link dsl-g604t gen2 wireless router. im connected to it via the lan cable and my other "friends" are connected via wireless.

The problem is that im on a 20gig monthly limit on an adsl2 connection and they use this allowance up to quickly which ends up in our connection speed dropping to a 64kbps. which is pathetic considering im paying for the bills.

I would like to know how can i limit their bandwith so that they do not get the high speed which allows them to download alot in a day. They connect to router via wireless and there are no options for me to limit them via this.

i cannot access thier pc's to install software to do this... And i wnat to choose specifically which user gets what limit since my girlfriend is also connecting via wireless i dont want to hinder her speed

thanx

-australia-

Either you get firmware that supports the feature such as dd-wrt. Or you set them up to router through a sever that uses some software like netlimiter.

Turn wireless on and off at given times?

Block all the incoming ports higher than 1025?

Take an old PC and build a new gateway out of it using pfSense or IP cop, then reprogram the wireless router into an access point. Then filter all the ports but for your ip addy?

20 gigs a month? That's not much bandwidth. I've seen that much soaked up in a day on email attachments. Maybe talk you can talk your friends into throwing some money in the kitty and upgrading your plan?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

the thing is i cant setup a small pc to use as a server... dont have the time or resources.

i was hoping i could do it via my router.... what is dd-wrt?

The kitty idea is good but they wont agree to it. if worse comes to worse ill explain to them.

They rent the room from me and they dont speak english too well... so i wanted to just limit their bandwidth without them knowing.

Since they connect wireless it has to be on the router.

WHat is qos? not sure how it works or if it can help? i have the feature on my modem/router

Hi,

They rent the room from me and they dont speak english too well... so i wanted to just limit their bandwidth without them knowing.
    I think that they might just notice?

WHat is qos? not sure how it works or if it can help? i have the feature on my modem/router
    If it is what I suspect, "QoS" stands for "Quality of Service", and the systems I have seen were designed to ensure that priority users got realtime priority and suchlike. You really need to research your manual and the manufacturer's tech support site.

The question would be whether this works cumulatively over a month or not? I strongly suspect that it does not, so if the connection and resource is there it will allow it to happen. Unfortunately that clocks up the miles on your account.

I am afraid that oofki and brokencrow are pretty much on the mark with this one. Unless you have some sort of accounting and identification system, there isn't much you can do. Even if you limited them to a speed, they would probably just leave their machines on for longer?............... that will still clock up the cumulative bandwidth.

cheers
    Last edited by nihil; March 30th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

You basically replace the firmware on your router with a customized one. Essentially you are replacing the "operating system" of the router with a version of linux that was made for routers.

You need a router that supports it though, so if yours doesnt you can buy a cheap one that does and set it up in an hour or two.