News Reliability?

Thread: News Reliability?

News Reliability?

Well,

I am sure that we have all see so called "security" articles and thought to ourselves: "what absolute bullcrap that was"

Here is a pure jem that currently stands as my #1 entry for the great AO bullcrap of the year title.

It involves a pastor who has been caught defrauding his parishioners using high tech identity theft techniques ( you see, they are not all spotty faced lifeless juveniles living in their auntie's basements)

Article is here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forme...rs-82312.shtml

So what's the problem?

Well, at the top left you will see a collection plate with (US) dollar bills in it?

The 84 year old had 20 "twenty pounds" stolen from her? that's GBP to you city slickers.

He is only looking at a sentence of up to 1 year!

"Northumberland County" .......................... where in the USA is that?....... must be pretty remote if they still use "pounds" and haven't heard of 1776?

So, I am led to believe that this might be the United Kingdom? where the locale would be simply called "Northumberland" ............... we don't use "county" like they do in Ireland as a prefix or in the USA as a suffix.

As for the "security issue"? well, to pay by direct debit or standing order will give your details to the recipient as well as the forces of darkness.

Also, we have this nice thing over here that lets you tell our version of the IRS to pay back the tax you paid on the money you gave to a recognised charity to the charity............... to do that you have to provide your personal details????????????

This one is running at 19.37946/20................... but my search continues

Nihil, Nihil, Nihil... I know you aren't a spring chicken so you should know by now that you never read a news article too closely. Too often they will give you a headache if you try to actually make sense of them.

I just erased another couple of paragraphs about journalism majors while I was in college to avoid making anyone cry.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Banned
    Originally posted by Nihil
    The 84 year old had 20 "twenty pounds" stolen from her? that's GBP to you city slickers.
    20 pounds... as in LBS, not GBP. Please tell me you knew that, Nihil...
    The actual amount stolen was close to $30,000, btw (that's 15,130.8 to you, country boy ).

Whaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!

8.88888Kilos for $(USD) 30,000? either we are getting seriously ripped off over here, or your dealer must be a 501 Not for Profit

I thought it was bad enough paying $8 for a US gallon of gas.......but that!

My reason for drawing attention to the article was that it is not a "high tech" crime, but a simple case of a dishonest individual abusing a position of trust?