Thread: Cold Heartless Bitch

Cold Heartless Bitch

As some of you may have learned from the conan obrien website ordeal, for legal reasons, if a non-existent website is spoken/shown/whatever on a tv network, the network has to purchase the domain. This is just so that they aren't seen as promoting anything against their views in case the site promotes something like terrorism, yada yada yada...

So he went through a thing with horneymanatee.com, and they had to purchase it and turned it into a comedy thing. Whenever I hear fake domains on tv shows now, I always visit them just to see what happens. It's pretty amusing when you go to sites like coldheartlessbitch.com and they redirect you to warner brothers, lol...

Just outta curiosity, anyone else came across domains like this?

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    coldheartlessbitch.com

it redirected me to http://www2.warnerbros.com/main/homepage/homepage.html

I would recommend www.touchgraph.com and look for sites around coldheartlessbitch.com <---- me personally, I thought the site would be about abunch of hott chicks guess not...

Lol, coldheartlessbitch.com was said on Drew Carey. Not more than 10 seconds after they said it I was online looking it up. I was almost shocked when I saw it!

Thanks for the post! I had no idea they did that...

Hmmm.

Can't say I have seen anything like that over here, apart from the usual registration of "sounds likes" to prevent spoofing and cybersquatting.

This is the best one I have come across in a while:

http://www.clickmonkeys.com/

And another from the same guy:

http://www.petsorfood.com/about.shtml

I guess our broadcasters are more laid back. They would check that a domain did not exist to avoid any potential legal comeback for libel or whatever, but I don't think they particularly worry about someone subsequently registering the site, unless it was to enrich themselves on the back of the publicity.

As it turned out the horneymanatee site did get the show a lot of additional publicity?
    Last edited by nihil; April 5th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

2600 does stuff like this, though not for the same reasons. I remember sites like f***ford.com and f***nbc.com... verizonreallysucks.com, and my personal favorite, verizonshouldspendmoretimefixingitsnetworkandlessmoneyonlawyers.com ... they would point these to either the site of the company in question, or a competitor...

I am pretty sure that 2600 no longer owns these though...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

f***nbc.com disgruntled employee. lol

That's kind of a retarded law...So how long do they have to keep the domain after they purchase it?

It's not so much a law as it is 'company policy'. Don't know how long they keep it for. I heard another on bench warmers the other day, i think it was stopwiththeshittossingitsgettingoldalready.com? Can't check it right now, at work, lol...

@westin: i remember the verizon article, mainly because of the title of it. Verizon went out of their way to register all those ****verizon.com domains so that nobody else could register 'em. the article always stuck in my head specifically because they poked fun at verizon by naming the article after one of the domains verizon purchased, "Over The Verizon" (OverTheVerizon.com). it was just a weird name and I don't think someone who wanted to create a hate domain would have even came up with it, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias360
    It's not so much a law as it is 'company policy'. Don't know how long they keep it for. I heard another on bench warmers the other day, i think it was stopwiththeshittossingitsgettingoldalready.com? Can't check it right now, at work, lol...

came up as server not found...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST