Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Video Error

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Windows Video Error

Hey all

Couldnt find another section to put this in , if its not in the right place would a moderator be so kind as to move it for me.

I have a PC here in the office which just dies. Instead of a blue screen, the PC just "black" screens and restarts.

XP SP2

I followed these steps.

Turned off "automatically restart" in startup and recovery options. I turned off the memory dump. <-- Dont know if I should have done that, can someone advise me on that.

I checked event viewer and found the error.

One more thing is that when the PC restarted the windows recovered from a system error blah blah came up, do you want to send this info to M$. The person on the computer went through it and came to a page with M$ saying a device driver is bad.

I checked the drivers, nothing wrong there.

See attachment for the event viewer info. Just unzip it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Cider; August 7th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Always figured those to be either power supply or motherboard. Got an extra power supply?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

OK mate,

My money is on the video chipset/card going to vote in Zimbabwe.

What are your hardware specs? In particular do you have onboard video?

I have a couple of old AGP and PCI cards that I generally use to troubleshoot those sort of problems

I guess we are going back to our previous discussion about whether you use diagnostics or known good components?

EDIT:

I will move this into "hardware" as it is hardware that isn't working, no matter what the cause?

Another thought is that it might be a RAM issue if you have "shared" RAM with the video.
    Last edited by nihil; April 16th, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Sigh. This is the PC that I got back. They replaced the memory.

Yes it is all onboard. Since I changed the startup and recovery options, it hasnt happened. Ram is obvoiusly shard with the video as it is onboard. What should my next step be? Should I just put in an external Video card and use that?

Nihil: The voting in Zim is getting quite hectic. Alot of the construction sector workers here in SA went back to ZIM to vote. Now they wont even release the votes which Mr Robby lost :/
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, if that is the case, then I would say that the fault is with the power supply.

Unfortunately a faulty power supply tends to take other components with it, so the perceived symptoms can be quite variable.

I don't think that changing the settings is your answer............ all you have done is stopped the warnings. I would turn off quick boot and leave the restart on error off and look at what you are getting in the event logs. I would expect that the logs are still being recorded?

I agree with brokencrow in that I would try a new power supply, but, as I mentioned, the damage may already have been done.

Are the components under warranty?

I had a similar problem a few years back. The pc would just shut down when ever it felt like it. I replaced the power supply, with out any change. In the end it was the motherboard.

Good luck
    Mad Beaver

You might take a look at the caps (capacitors) on the board to see if there's any that are bulging and/or leaking (stains on the MB or the top of the cap). Bad caps are indicative of a board gone bad.

Yep, that is a possibility:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

However, I can't say that I have seen the problem with MoBos made in the last couple of years.

Cider did say he had just built the box (in his other thread about it) but he didn't say if he had used new components or not, or who made them.

Seen bad caps on a few inverter bars in LCD's recently. They were 15"er's,
    so they were 3 or 4 years old at least. Supposedly there's still some bad
    electrolyte fluid making the rounds, so it wouldn't surprise me. But certainly
    caps aren't the issue they were five years ago. I always reflexively check
    though.

Hey all. The components are all brand spanking new. Intel mobo. They are all under guarantee. Its just such a mission to take the PC back and forth to the supplier.

EDIT WoW. Never knew there were such problems with blown capacitors. That particular machine blue screened this morning again. I dont have anything spare to swop out though. Guess I will have to take it back.
    Its brand new though.
    Last edited by Cider; April 17th, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
    Albert Einstein