Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Video Error

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeaver
    I had a similar problem a few years back. The pc would just shut down when ever it felt like it. I replaced the power supply, with out any change. In the end it was the motherboard.

Good luck
    I'm currently having that problem. It doesn't restart like the OP's does. It just shuts down. Nothing in the logs. No messages about there being an error after I reboot. It acts perfectly normal. The only times it happens is when I'm playing a graphically intense game or trying to encode avi's to DVD. At first I thought it was a power problem, since I was using a weak supply (350W), but after exchanging that for a 550W it still happens.

Looks like I'll have to pony up the dough for a new MB. I need one anyways, since my current is limited to 4GB RAM.

Hi there delstar, sorry to hear about your problem mate

My first thoughts were that it sounds like a video card problem but now I have my doubts.

My thinking is that your machine cuts off totally without attempting a reboot, and does not give an error log.

Please take a look in your BIOS setup and see if restart on error is disabled. If it isn't then I think that the total shutdown may have another significance? perhaps it is deliberate?

Scenario 1:

I have come across this sort of thing before where the system had "hardware protection" and the threshold temperature was set too low. What happened was that when the system was stressed it heated up and the protection shut it down. In the short time it takes to reboot, it would have cooled below this threshold........ then the user messes around trying to figure what happened and it cools some more.............

Please take a look if your BIOS supports temperature thresholds

Scenario 2:

The system has a variable fan, with either software settings or a bloody big knob at the back............. that is turned down to reduce noise............. stress the system and the cut-off cuts in?

Scenario 3:

You have overclocked your videocard such that it becomes unstable at higher work rates.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, I googled the crap out of that error message and quite a few sites I came across suggest the 0000004E, parameter 1 error is due to some kind of memory error. They suggest testing your system memory and then re-seating your RAM sticks and/or moving your RAM sticks to different slots.

I'll keep checking to see what I can find.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Hi SD~ how's it goin?

Yeah, "some sort of memory error"? well, he took it back and they replaced the memory, and it worked for a while..............

So what is killing the memory?.......... my guess is the PSU, but if the MoBo is stiffed then that could do it also. My thinking there is that the PSU is more likely to random events than the MoBo (capacitors excluded), and a dud PSU will kill the MoBo?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Hi SD~ how's it goin?
    I'd love to say good but, in the current economic crunch...

Anyway. The one thing I did notice as a solution was physically moving the RAM to a different slot. I don't know how many slots he has but, it did resolve the issue in one other forum.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get some internal temps. Try Speedfan. It's a good little free product that I like. Nihil may be on to something in regards to the heat issue.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Nihil, thanks for your suggestions, but :
    1) I've been through all the BIOS settings, and know them inside and out. The settings of which you speak are disabled.
    2)The system actually has 5 fans, including the one on the vid card, none of which are variable. The CPU fan is freakin' HUGE, and the CPU stays at a reasonable temp under heavy-load conditions.
    3) No overclocking whatsoever on the vid card nor the BIOS.

You have to understand, this PC is my 'baby'. I've built this thing from the ground up. There isn't a single area in the software side that I'm not fully aware of, and most of the hardware has been replaced/upgraded since I've encountered this problem. The only 2 things that haven't changed are the MB and the video card. It should be noted that this started occuring after I installed a secondary OS (the first was installed before I got a dual-core CPU), and this was never a problem on the first OS. It didn't start happening immediately, but I can't recall the last thing that changed before it did (this was a couple of years ago). Though, I seem to recall it being right after I installed Ubuntu as a third OS. It has since been removed.

Oh, and most games, after they've shut the computer down once and I've rebooted, won't do it again until after the next time I reboot.

This has got to be the oddest problem I have ever run across, including other people's PCs (I'm a tech for a living, so that's saying alot).
    Last edited by delstar; April 17th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    On my side I will check the BIOS settings.

I built another machine 2 days ago. Same parts as the first one. Blue screens as I attempted to install server 2k3. Had enough , took it back.

They came back with faulty Mobo.

So im thinking the machine with the video problem and just randomly rebooting. No errors in event log, must be the mobo?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

USB version compatibility is what immediately comes to mind for both of you guys. I am probably preaching to the choir here, but your BIOS has to support your devices. Give it a flash.

Alternately, unplug any foreign USB devices (those without signed drivers) and tinker around on that side of things and see what you can see.

I strongly doubt that Mobos are at fault here...

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Ouro : Good guess, but doesn't apply in my case. One of the first things I did when I got this MB is flash the BIOS with the latest stable version. Also, I don't have any USB devices that are plugged in at all times. The only things I do use them for are my phone, my mp3 player, and a gamepad. All of which are usually disconnected unless I'm actually doing something with them.

Cider : Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread.

Hmmmmm,

I built another machine 2 days ago. Same parts as the first one. Blue screens as I attempted to install server 2k3. Had enough , took it back.
    And the same supplier, I would imagine? I am afraid that sounds like a "bad batch". Unfortunately this is becoming more common because manufacturers' margins cannot support the same level of QA that they used to.

@delstar,

Sorry I couldn't help mate. All I can think of at this stage is that you are getting some sort of "deadly embrace" between your sound and video drivers. Yes, a long shot I know, but it does happen.............. try re-installing the latest versions?