Thread: Security Labs

Security Labs

I'm taking this hacker techniques class at school, and well to be honest the labs are lame, the teacher doesnt really have any experience in this field. Can anyone recommend some labs that we could possibly do, or point me to a resource that does? We have access to linux, XP and 2003 servers and possibly others.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I'm taking this hacker techniques class at school, and well to be honest the labs are lame, the teacher doesnt really have any experience in this field. Can anyone recommend some labs that we could possibly do, or point me to a resource that does? We have access to linux, XP and 2003 servers and possibly others.

Sounds like your taking *Ethical Hacking classes* and not malicious hacking classes.

TESTDRIVE from HP http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

if your looking for writing exploits, xss attacks, DDoS attacks, etc.. sounds like you might want to get with some friends or yourself and build a network just to start from their at least, cn22

Head over to de-ice.net and download the LiveCD's. Everything's free, you just gotta register first and that takes like 2 mins. There are currently 2 level 1 CD's, and 1 level 2 CD. The levels reflect the skills necessary to complete the scenario attached to each disk.

Basicallly, you start with nothing but the livecd running on another machine or the iso running in VMware (if you only have 1 computer) and you fumble around until you complete the scenario. It's been a while since I did them so i don't remember exactly which one, but on one of the level 1 disks your job is to break into the system and snag a sensitive financial document.

Since it's a livecd these are actual full systems that you're running and they emulate real world scenarios. Unlike labs that you are currently going through where the teacher shows you arcane tricks like how to gain admin rights on an unpatch version of NT, lol...

Oh, also... in the forums there's threads and even videos to walk you through anything should you get stuck.

Thanks guys, i will look into those. And yeah it's an Ethical Hacking Class

Wow. I'm gonna take a look into this too. It's exactly what I need, thanks. I'm kinda trying to do the same thing, but on my own. A little hands on experience can't hurt.