Thread: Diag tests on the network! PLease advise.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Diag tests on the network! PLease advise.

Hey guys

Got an interesting one here.

Our lan comprises about 15 workstations and 3 servers. Got about 4 remote clients.

Anyway we have a Panda Gatedender Integra here which does spam filtering and web filtering etc etc. We also have a netgear firewall here (FVL 328).

Now we have been getting bad download speeds. Our isp is in our building. Even downloading from there ftp is like 2 kb/s.

Now i want to run some diagnostics on the network. Inside our LAN to see our speeds. Then i will bypass the firewall and integra to see the speeds. I want to see if its this netgear rubbish and/or the integra.

Can anyone point out any free diagnostic apps I could use. Not too complex, im half half when it comes to networking.

All workstations are xp sp2 (ill be putting on sp3 for xp today and tomorrow) except my machine and boss's are vista sp1.

Any tips, ideas, ulti would be wonderful!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

This is a pure guess longshot, but I keep hearing more frequently about some ISPs not playing nice with their customers and "shaping" or "throttling" the traffic.

Over here our telecoms were a virtual monopoly of the GPO (BT as it is now), so they historically own most of the old copper wire infrastructure that is still being used.

When we "de-regulated" (that is, de-nationalised") the outfit, they were obliged to provide part of their infrastructure usage asset to rival operators. Effectively, this meant that quite a few were doing what I would describe as "buying on"..... by which I mean that they were making money out of offering different billing options, service levels, and the like.

Now, when someone can run their company more efficiently than your (now public quoted) antediluvian, outfit.................. you might be tempted to resort to tactics that have landed IBM and then latterly, Microsoft in court?

Please find out who is actually providing your internet link.

I am probably paranoid, but I get this distinct aroma of rodent....... particularly as your own ISP don't seem to be able to do much better? Hey, if you use a tool that shows the service is crap that doesn't tell you why, does it?

Johnno

AOs Resident Troll
    Check you DNS settings.

also you can try lowering your MTU setting on your router to 1400 (default is 1492 Ithink).

Is your lan slow???
    as in file tranfers to and from the server....???

What does a tracert to public IP such as google show?/

there are sites out there that will measure your speed...such as speedtest.com etc.

As stated...you can then confirm a poor internet connection...then go to your ISP and complain.

Throttling or traffic shaping is something going on now in Canada ....and I for 1 am totally opposed to it....as I see it a censorship. Isps should not have control internet content.

As Nihil stated...this appears to becoming regular practice of ISPs.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer