Thread: Recommendations

Recommendations

Hello there everyone. As I seem to find so many answers here, I have decided to see if I can find one for something a little bit different. I am currently working in Puerto Rico but for different reasons have decided it is the best for me and my fiancee to move to the Austin, TX area or nearby.

However, the online job search for the past 2 months has proven to be quite unsuccesful and I have tried using all resources I could find. It always seem as if my resume and/or cover letter never reaches the right employer/human resources person/someone. Among the options I have tried are using monster.com, careerbuilder.com and a recruiter service (which turned out to be a window for spam on my email). I am a computer engineer currently working as a software engineer in an automation company.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what I might be doing wrong? How can I get my resume to be seen by the right people? When you search places like monster.com you see a big number of jobs, but it doesn't seem like anybody is really looking at them. I say this because the jobs they have called me back for are some for which I haven't even applied for and which are far away from the area Im searching in, yet the three persons have told me they got my resume online. It seems like I am doing something wrong so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

Hi,

Sometimes online recruiting works, sometimes it doesn't.

I would look for employment agencies in and around the area you want and register with them. They probably have contacts with local employers who may not be actively seeking employees themselves, but would hire if the right candidate came along.

I guess a reasonable proportion of these headhunters and agencies make their money by adopting a sort of "cold calling" approach.

Thank you nihil. I will try to look for agencies around the area and see how that works out.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing