Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderbird has forgotten password - and so have I!

In fact, now the copy of Thunderbird on the laptop has developed a fault where it won't retrieve mail, saying that it can't connect to either imap.aol.com or pop.gmail.com because the SSL protocol has been disabled. I haven't a clue what it's on about, I transferred the roaming app data from here across there to sort it out and have belatedly realised that this will also leave the laptop not having the correct email account password - unless for some reason it does, I have no idea why it suddenly can't be found on this PC.

Anyway if it can't connect to imap then it can't pick up the relevant account. I'm more concerned with why it's doing that really, but not greatly so on the laptop because as soon as I can I intend to reinstall. I might just have to change the password meanwhile!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Just Another Geek
    AFAIK gmail has always used SSL. If your looking for that password you're out of luck as SSL will encrypt the connection. Not sure about AOL needing SSL though.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Did you try Snadboy's Revelation? I just tested it on my gmail imap acc't loaded in Outlook 2003 and it gave up the password right away. Should work on Thunderbird.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Sorry, it did absolutely nothing. The only text it ever revealed was "Folder View" and even that was impossible to drill into any further. I ran the cursor thing over every folder in Thunderbird roaming app data, and the Thunderbird installed program, and finally the Thunderbird mail interface itself. Not a single thing was ever revealed at all.

I don't know why I'm getting these errors in the version on the laptop, nothing has significantly changed, however as I had tried overwriting with the data on this PC, I'm assuming that the laptop too, has now lost its password. I think my only option is to change it.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

You don't run Revelation's cursor over a folder. You run it over asterisked passwords in the account settings. Only works on asterisked passwords in config menus. HTH.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Ah well, it wouldn't work then. The password box is just blank, no stars there at all.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature