MP3 Query

Thread: MP3 Query

MP3 Query

Hi AO's,

Is there any way we can increase the kb of the mp3 songs

means normally the once which download from the net are of 128kb or else 256kb

but what if we want to increase the kb to 512 kb how can we go thought that and have a good quality of music?

Regards
    kk
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

As far as I know, you can only go down, not up. Meaning if you have a file encoded at 512kb, you can reduce it to 256, 192, 128, etc. However, if you have a file encoded at 128kb, you can't increase it to 192, 256, etc.

You'll need the original media and you have to rip it again.

The reason for this is due to the way that the files compressed and encoded. In order to reduce the file sizes, data is actually being removed. Once that data is removed, it's gone for good. You can't get it back without encoding it again. Well, at least as far as I know.

Check out this wiki. Pay attention to the lossy audio section.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmmmm,

Why would you want to do that? what do you think it would achieve?

Obviously you could pack the file with something but all that would do is either crash the player or make long gaps between the tunes

EDIT:

As far as I know phish is right. I know that there is software to enhance music files, but all that does is create another copy after attempting to remove background noise, distortion, scratches and the like.
    Last edited by nihil; May 19th, 2008 at 02:18 PM.

Actually, I think that you can up the bit rate if you really wanted to, but it won't sound any better.

Quote Originally Posted by metguru
    Actually, I think that you can up the bit rate if you really wanted to, but it won't sound any better.
    Yes it is used by some groups to distribute poor quality material and pass it off as High quality - high bitrate material..

MP3 is a lossy compression medium.. IE IT REMOVES things from the original content.. typically tonal (read frequency/amplitude) information. You Can not put that back by upping the bitrate.

I am puzzeled about the sample bitrates your quoting?
    Several bit rates are specified in the MPEG-1 Layer 3 standard: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 192, 224, 256 and 320 kbit/s, and the available sampling frequencies are 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz. A sample rate of 44.1 kHz is almost always used, because this is also used for CD audio, the main source used for creating MP3 files. A greater variety of bit rates are used on the Internet. 128 kbit/s is the most common, because it typically offers adequate audio quality in a relatively small space. 192 kbit/s is often used by those who notice artifacts at lower bit rates. As the Internet bandwidth availability and hard drive sizes have increased, 128 kbit/s bitrate files are slowly being replaced with higher bitrates like 192 kbit/s, with some being encoded up to MP3's maximum of 320 kbit/s. It is unlikely that higher bit rates will be popular with any lossy audio codec as higher bit rates than 320 kbit/s encroach on the domain of lossless codecs such as FLAC.
    By contrast, uncompressed audio as stored on a compact disc has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s (16 bits/sample × 44100 samples/second × 2 channels / 1000 bits/kilobit).
    Some additional bit rates and sample rates were made available in the MPEG-2 and the (unofficial) MPEG-2.5 standards: bit rates of 8, 16, 24, and 144 kbit/s and sample rates of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05 and 24 kHz.
    Non-standard bit rates up to 640 kbit/s can be achieved with the LAME encoder and the freeformat option, although few MP3 players can play those files. According to the ISO standard, decoders are only required to be able to decode streams up to 320 kbit/s.
    With the exception with good sound equipment the average person will have dificulty differentiating between 128/192kbs as with the diff between 256 & 512(?).. some golden ears on average equipment perhaps
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

We have a saying over here:

"You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

I think that applies to this. You cannot improve the underlying quality of what you have.

Sure, you can remove some aberrations and do digital remixes so that a mono performance uses both speakers, but you haven't changed the original quality.

Well Yes,

I agree to the above with full interest

but my intention was only to listen to a high quality music because whatever music or mp3 we get from net are maximumly with bit rate of 128kb or else some times with 224kb.

which are not of a good quality to run in a 5.1 system

Hi KK,

Unfortunately the music you get from the internet in MP3 format is generally intended to be listened to on small, portable devices that have a limited reproduction quality. Hence the files are compressed to an extent that matches this medium.............. it is a case of "quantity not quality"

If you want Dolby 5.1 quality you have to go out and buy a CD/DVD or download from a different source, probably in a different format. In PC terms you will usually find stuff that is geared for onboard AC97 chipsets rather than independent Dolby 5.1 soundcards.

I have a couple of systems with Turtle Beach soundcards and 6 speakers (front L&R, back L&R, middle, and sub-woofer). They play CDs and DVDs just fine, but your downloaded MP3 is designed to be played on just two speakers or headphones.

I haven't seen a picture of you, but I would imagine that you only have two ears like myself Fundamentally, you cannot get surround sound out of simple stereo media. The signal is just not there.

Hahahahahah nihil,

that was good one

there is nothing more i can say .....

i give up definitely