Thread: Halp! PHPBB3 Upgrade

Halp! PHPBB3 Upgrade

Let me preface this by saying I am more or less an incompetent noob when it comes to this arena of things, and thus my learning my way around it includes such brilliant methods such as stumbling around blindly pretending to know what I'm doing. Every now and then it actually works. :P

Anywho, here's my problemo:

I'm trying to upgrade the forums (PHPBB2) on my site www.jameswebsite.net to PHPBB3. I have successfully installed PHPBB3 to http://jameswebsite.net/phpbb3/install/. So now I'm just trying to convert my old forums.

Here's where I'm stuck. For the board path, it says "This is the relative path on disk to your former board from the root of this phpBB3 installation." Relative to /phpbb3/install, got that part.

So to attempt to point it at my old forum, which exists in the root directory, I entered ../../../ for the path. Sadly, it gives me the error "Could not find path to your former board. Please check your settings and try again.
    ยป ../../.. was specified as the source path."

Just for kicks I've tried under- and over-counting paths just in case, so I tried "../../" and "../../../../". No dice, of course.

So, not sure what I'm doing wrong here?

/edit -- Nevermind! I figured it out. Oddly enough, I had to use single "." instead of double "..".
    Last edited by AngelicKnight; May 21st, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

If it's like vBulletin, all you need to do is give it the same URL you would type into your address bar to access the forum, minus the domain name. So if, as it is in your case, the forum is installed at the root, all you should need is a/

There should have been an option after the install for converting over. Just did a clean install of phpbb3.
    The answer to all how to questions: Very carefully with a large stick.

\"Dogs f***ed the Pope. No fault of mine.\" Hunter S. Thompson