Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is vista business alright

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Is vista business alright

Hey all

Is vista business ok as an OS?

I am a gamer.

I cant afford Ultimate right now...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well, as the name implies it is intended for business not gaming. I would say that you would actually be better off with Home Premium for gaming, as it is supposed to support entertainment.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

and:

http://www.williamstanek.com/vista/windows_vista.htm

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong, it should work. Is there any particular reason why you are asking about the Business Edition.

It sounds as if you haven't got Vista on your target machine? Might be an idea to run the Microsoft Vista Upgrade Advisor tool on it first and see what it recommends.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

You need to be running XP
    Last edited by nihil; May 22nd, 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Hey there Nihil.

I am getting a new PC mostly for gaming so its a gaming Rig. I have a copy of Vista for that machine.

Just wanted to know if Vista business is going to hamper a "gaming experiece" VS ultimate?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

Just wanted to know if Vista business is going to hamper a "gaming experiece" VS ultimate?
    I would not have thought so because if you look at Home Premium, Business and Ultimate they have the same core functionality. All do Aero and DX10, which I guess is what you want for gaming?

As we are talking a new box then I don't expect any compatibility or performance issues.

The Business Edition doesn't have the MS home entertainment stuff, but for a serious gaming box I would use third party applications anyway

Business does have stuff that you won't need, so just switch it off or don't activate it. It won't do any harm, but you might as well have all your resources doing what you want.

Ultimate is supposed to have all the bells and whistles but I don't know that they would be of any added advantage to a machine you are going to use for gaming. Check the comparatives I posted earlier and see if there is anything that would be relevant to the games you want to play.

Incidentally, if you want to play the MS games you will have to activate them...... they are disabled by default in Business Edition.

Ok thanks, Ill try get a copy of ultimate if monies permits, otherwise ill stick with business.

I need vista for dx 10 otherwise xp would be just great.
    Albert Einstein

No Comments

Bad Experience with Vista Home premium
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Ok thanks, Ill try get a copy of ultimate if monies permits, otherwise ill stick with business.
    Well, you can always buy an upgrade if there are features in Ultimate that you really want. To be honest with you I am no expert on gaming so I would go to the forums of the games I was interested in and ask there.

Also, you might consider dual booting?

I will never dual boot in my life again

Anyway thanks for you comments, really appreciated.
    Albert Einstein

Hey Cider:

Windows Vista (Version is irrelevant) is the WORST operating system Microsoft has ever released.

For what ever reasons (meaning I don't want to get into that discussion here and now) M$ decided to re-write tons of it's kernel source. A trick they tried with NT SP 5 - For those who didn't have the pleasure - THAT REALLY SUCKED ASS.

But all was well with SP6a. Windows 2000 was a well thought, nicely implemented secure operating system. (I'm not including all the holey applications packaged with the OS).

XP was nothing more than a shell upgrade that started making things worse - nothing else.

M$; trying to support media piracy; protect stupid users from themselves and thinking they could just rip off SUN - yet again, came up with a pretty much useless operating system.

If you want games, stay with 2000.

My biggest problem with Vista is it grabs n memory based on total amount and spends many cpu cycles and threads managing n memory that is usually doing ABSOULTY NOTHING. Not very optimal for gamers. Or Office workers, or web based email users... you get my drift. Oh yea that memory thing. Can't turn it off.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hmmmm,

Windows Vista (Version is irrelevant) is the WORST operating system Microsoft has ever released.
    Have you forgotten Millennium Edition so soon?

But all was well with SP6a. Windows 2000 was a well thought, nicely implemented secure operating system.
    Yes I like those two, and for a pure "home environment" 98SE is OK.

XP was nothing more than a shell upgrade that started making things worse
    A bit more, because they were trying to merge their business and home OS offerings, and I suspect that was partly responsible for some of the initial problems (eye candy and bells & whistles for the home users). MS have always had a tendency to get things to market before they are really ready?

Or Office workers, or web based email users...
    I know quite a few of those and it seems perfectly adequate to me. Most office applications are no more than a database, input forms and some update and reporting proggies. I still know quite a few people who still use Office 97 quite happily.

What I have noticed is that shop bought OEM boxes seem to under perform compared to ones you build yourself?