Thread: Date link...

Date link...

No...I'm not talking a singles forum for us lonely geeks...can you please write a script that displays all the posts of a certain date? I see there are already scripts doing just that (Show all persons by so-and-so by clicking on their name) but I would like to see the date as a link as well...thank you for your prompt and eager reply to this suggestion...

I think that there might be a problem with that given the size of the posts database. It would be a good way to open yourself to a DoS attack?

Prompt but not eager....

Well, if that indeed were true ("...size of the posts database."), then the same would be true for any query such as the one I mentioned in my opening post. Since I noticed that if I click on your name, I am presented with a page offering a link to display, through a script, all the posts you have made or all the posts you started. How much trouble do you believe it would cause to make a script to display all the posts made on a certain date? Searching for a user's posts seems to work without running a risk of a denial of service. I guess the idea behind how it could be a DoS went over my head.

It doesn't pose a threat, but it's too specialized a request. I doubt anybody else would even use it.

Well, I don't know the layout of the database tables, what metadata is held and what key fields there are.

Search by member is certainly supported, possibly on thread ID, post number or whatever.

Anything that has to read the entire posts database would take some time I would have thought? anyway what is the significance of everything posted on a particular date? it isn't very meaningful for a site like this. The keys are Members, threads, posts and subjects (keywords). I don't know exactly how it works but I do know if you search for a keyword that is too short or too common it won't do it.

How much trouble do you believe it would cause to make a script to display all the posts made on a certain date?
    I have no idea, but I am pretty sure that if it required any alteration to the standard vBulletin code and setup then it won't happen. The old site had been messed around with and it was a nightmare to upgrade to this version, so we don't want to go there again. Perhaps one of the admins will look into it and see if it is an option that hasn't been activated.

I am pretty sure that if this facility was in the old system (I can't remember, as I wouldn't have used it) then it was non-standard.

I have tried using the standard query facilities and entering dates but it doesn't find them.