Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need motherboard suggestions

need motherboard suggestions

hi everyone,

got a good amount in bonus and planning to redo my rig. Also upgrading my gfx card to an MSI 8800GT overclocked edition.

The current motherboard is an old 915GAV intel piece. I was wondering that instead of buying a costly board with onboard graphics, should invest in a board without it. I can use the money saved in buying a good RAM module.

I would be curently continuing with my current processer P4 3 ghz and would upgrade to intel 8400 or above (socket 775) in cycle.

Any suggestions for the motherboard are welcome.

Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Just Another Geek
    Check your local hardware store... They usually sell upgrade kits..
    These contain a mainboard, processor and memory. All three would need to be replaced anyway..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

OK, take a look at the nForce 780i SLI or (if you can afford it and the bits to match) 790i SLI.

They are compatible with your Intel 8400 and MSI 8800GT. You will need new memory as they are DDR2/DDR3.

I am guessing that the P4 will work (just about) as it is socket 775 but you need to check that.

CAUTION:

1. I always advise people who are upgrading to consider "balance". Frequently, by only upgrading some components you just "move the traffic jam down the road"

2. Consider what you are going to be using the equipment for, and purchase to meet those requirements. For example, your 8800GT would be as much use to me as teats on a boar

3. Consider how long you expect the equipment to remain in service and "future proof" accordingly. For example the 790i supports DDR3 whereas the 780i DDR2.

SirDice raises an interesting point. Over here (UK) a lot of the online stores sell kits which comprise MoBo, processor and RAM. Even if you don't want to buy one, they generally give you a good idea of performance compatibility of the components. They are also cheaper than buying individual items as they are selling three, and making profit on all of them and there is only one handling shipping charge.

OK, you are in India, but I was puzzled by this:

[QUOTEThe current motherboard is an old 915GAV intel piece. I was wondering that instead of buying a costly board with onboard graphics, should invest in a board without it. I can use the money saved in buying a good RAM module.QUOTE]

Over here boards with onboard graphics are generally "low end" and much cheaper.

Wish I could have a group upgrade. Would give this suggestion to my online store.

I prefer to build it piece by piece and I can always resell my old working board and the ram instead of junking it (earth would thank me for that )

The board I have my eyes on is a biostar or any p35 based thing.

I would, nihil, never get into an SLI setup and hence no point in buying an sli supported board.

Keeping my hands crossed.

cheers.
    Last edited by chizra; May 23rd, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Biostars are made in Taiwan so they are garbage. I tend to build with Asus, but Abit and Gigabtye are decent too

I have used Gigabyte for a number of years and have been entirely happy with them.

A good friend has used Asus with similar satisfaction,

This Intel selector guide might help?

http://mbsg.intel.com/mbsg/help.aspx

There are some useful links here:

http://www.komputerkrazy.com/itemdes...0-0000&eq=&Tp=
    Last edited by nihil; May 26th, 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    A customer brought in a biostar board. I agree that it isnt up to the standard of Asus or Gigabyte.

Stick with one of those. And please dont get an board directly from intel.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Over here the one that I would avoid like the plague is PcChips.

oofki mentioned Abit, who also have a good reputation, although I have never bought one myself.

For budget boards I have used Asrock, who I think belong to Asus. I have never had to replace one

And please dont get an board directly from intel.
    Can you actually do that? I thought that they only sold to the OEMs and big parts vendors. I have never seen a boxed retail Intel board in any stores over here.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well my company buys built PC's with intel boards. So yeah I think it is OEM. Should have rephrased it.

But it does come in a box so im sure you can buy the board standalone.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

That is what I have been thinking. Yes, you can buy a replacement, but it will doubtless come with the same "castrated" BIOS as the original did.

When I buy a MoBo I want the full Monty BIOS so I can screw up ALL the settings