Thread: DVD Super Multi not functioning

DVD Super Multi not functioning

Hi AO's

I use one of my colleague computer for DVD and CD writing. but from last todays he was complaining that his DVD Icon from my computer is missing.

today i checked for it and found that the dvd's eject button is functioning normal but there is not icon of dvd in my computer later i checked in device manager and saw that there is a attention mark on DVD drive

i tried to update the drivers but didnt worked

i uninstalled the DVD drive restarted the computer still didnt worked

i opened the box removed all the cables in attached all the cable properly and started the computer still its not functioning and yes the eject button is still working normal

computer is XP professional SP2
    DVD writer supermulti LG GSA H55N

was working fine on tuesday 29th May, 2008.
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi KK,

If the drawer opens it means that it is getting power. So all that leaves is the cable or the drive itself, which would explain the suddenly missing icon.

Try a different cable first.

You might just take a peek in the event logs to see if there are any clues?

I would guess that it has just died. As the average price over here for that model is less than £20 (GBP) I am hardly surprised. Cheap CD/DVD drives are notorious for their failure rate

If the different cable doesn't work, just attach the drive to another machine and boot it. If Windows comes up with "found new hardware" it would seem to be a problem with the MoBo. My feeling is that it won't, and that the drive is dead. Just get a replacement.
    Last edited by nihil; May 31st, 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Hey

what kind of DVD writer should we use then because this are the only onces available back in our market i have not seen a single better then this

and more over ths DVD writer is also used my many of my neighbourhood and those are working fine but only this one gives a error like this

i would also like to mention i used this DVD writer just one day before the day of when it got spoiled

Hi KK,

The problem is that with falling prices and profit margins, the quality assurance/control investment has seriously reduced.

I use Sony (expensive) and Benq (moderate)............... LG (Goldstar) are normally OK, but stuff dies............. so just replace it.

I mean, you do have warranty over there don't you?

Sorry Nihil I would have to recommend different ones :-P

Highend - Plextor and Mid - Liteon Liteons are cheap but good so there is really no reason to get something that is cheaper then one IMO

Hey oofki,

I guess it depends on what is readily available where you happen to live. I have several Liteons, as well as LGs and I can't say I have had any problems with them. I am guessing that this is just a rogue specimen?

I would take it out and go to someone who has one that works. Disconnect the working one and attach the suspect one then boot the machine. If it isn't recognised then it is dead. With any luck you should be able to do this without removing the working drive from its bay

KK

i would also like to mention i used this DVD writer just one day before the day of when it got spoiled
    Well, I have had that with all sorts of components. Sometimes you get a few warning signs more often you do not. It works one day and the next it doesn't.

hi nihil / ooofki,

i am hanging out for window shopping in some malls searching for new stuff and i inquired about this DVD writers

well this people have DVD writers with the range of only 22 pounds to 26 pounds and i asked for ones you guyz are suggesting are not available in the market and if we want those then will have to pay for the shipment of it to import which will make them more higher then what they actually cost

so the final option which is left over are this low quality DVD writers so have to work out with this

Hi KK,

It was probably just bad luck.

You are right in that it is not worth importing one. If you can get 3 or 4 local market ones for the price of an import you can afford to keep replacing them, and I don't believe you could be that unlucky