Transitioning.

Thread: Transitioning.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Transitioning.

I was trying to figure out where best to put this but I decided on here. This is a philosophical/ethical kind of thing. I've been here far to long it seems at times and have to say that I'm thankful for the many members that are here that I call friend (even if it's just a simple acquaintance). I value many of the opinions here and respect so many people that I don't think I'd be allowed enough characters to list them all in a single post.

Anyways, I'm blathering. In the world today we experience so many things that we're sure of, particularly when it's the self. One of the things that I have been challenging myself on lately is "who am I" and "what am I", particularly from the point of gender. Over the last 3 years, I've gone through a huge amount of thought and self process over this. And recently came to a decision that, as a result, I finally feel at home in the skin I am and the skin I will be (yes, I'll get more tattoos but that's another discussion). This summer I will start the process to transition. What does that mean? Well.. the Ms of MsMittens will cease (has ceased?) to exist as I become a "Mr". (clinically referred to as Female-to-male transitioning and often viewed as a result of "gender identity dysphoria as per the APA's DSM IV category). I will start with therapy (sigh.. I have the full color coordinated baggage set and it needs to be considered beyond the GID issues) as well as hormone treatments. Eventually, when finances allow, I'll get various surgeries to address other items.

Why bring it here? Well, part of it is an eventual name change. So many of you know me as "Lyne" and that will change to a name given to me, originally as a nickname but that I so identify with, "Linus" (an aunt called me that when I was 8, in reference to the Charles Schulz character that I seemed rather alike). For some of you, this may be a shock and you may decide to no longer want to associate with me. That is fine. For others, you may be ok with this and still want to be my friend. Whatever the choice, I do understand all the views. This isn't a decision made lightly and I refuse to live in "stealth".

I will be letting family and company know soon but find it easier to address this with friends than family (go figure). If you have questions, do not be afraid to ask.

Linus
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Greetz..

I just spotted this thread, and i am indeed curious as to know as it will be close to 1year since you started this thread, on how the transition is going?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Pretty good actually. I still have to get my name changed (requires a lawyer visit and the company has had me all over the place). My students have yet to have issue (at least to my face) about my transition (I've got a decent starter beard happening at this point) and my family and work colleagues have all been supportive.

I still have to consider future surgeries and save up for those but for now, I'm ok with where I am (I will probably only have one or two surgeries due to cost and known complications with some of the major surgeries).

Thanks for asking.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage