Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task Manager Issue

Hybrid View

Task Manager Issue

Hi to everyone here,

This is my first post in anti online

i have the computer in the office and the task manager is disabled

well i am the administrator of that computer and it is running XP operating system

the problem is whenever i press alt+ctrl + Del the task manager use to open but from 2 days whenever i press clt+ctrl+del the error messege comes

The Task Manager is disabled
    and without any error the computer restarts

how should i solve this problem

Hi Larren,

Welcome to AO's

well your problem i think comes from group policy..

for that open run from the start menu

type gpedit.msc which will open group policy

in that choose User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Ctrl+Alt+Delete>Remove Task Manager>Remove Task Manager>

since the name of the policy is Remove Task Manager, by disabling this policy, you are enabling the Task Manager.

and after that apply the policy

and check after that if your Ctrl+Alt+Delete is opening task manager or not
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hello larren, and welcome to AO.

the problem is whenever i press alt+ctrl + Del the task manager use to open but from 2 days whenever i press clt+ctrl+del the error messege comes:
    "The Task Manager is disabled"
    and without any error the computer restarts
    I am afraid that I do not like the sound of that! If you have not been changing any administrative settings I would say that it is an indication that you have been infected by malware. Task manager is what you would use to stop running processes, so the malware will disable it to protect itself.

Do you have an antivirus and firewall?

To start with please follow these steps:

1. Update your antivirus
    2. Disconnect your machine from the network (if it is on one) and reboot in safe mode.
    3. Set your antivirus to scan everything, deep scan, basically turn everything "on"
    4. Run it and see what it finds. If it does, make a careful note of what it is before cleaning/deleting it.

Let us know what happened

EDIT:

KK is absolutely right as to how to fix the Task Manager problem, but first you need to get rid of the virus

By the way, is your computer on a network? if it is then now is when the fun begins........
    Last edited by nihil; June 7th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.

Well Mr. nihil,

i have installed norton 2008 yesterday and i had updated it with everything on and as per to make it secure i also did virus scan but that time it didnt gave any virus attention yes but that scan was with the network cable plugged in and it was in normal mode

but after your messege i did as you told and i found an attention "W32 Popwin" which was shown as high risk

and yes Mr. Kingkong i tried as you showed me and it is now working properly thank you for helping me to both of them

wish you luck larren

Quote Originally Posted by larren
    but after your messege i did as you told and i found an attention "W32 Popwin" which was shown as high risk
    Hi larren, welcome to AO.

FYI, that particular virus you have/had will spread using USB drives so you'll need to make sure you check any that you might have connected to that PC.

Symantec info:
    W32.Popwin is a worm that attempts to spread through local and removable drives.
    Source: http://www.symantec.com/security_res...051114-1235-99

By the way, is your computer on a network? if it is then now is when the fun begins........
    Woopss this is really a scary line

and yes Mr. Kingkong i tried as you showed me and it is now working properly thank you for helping me to both of them
    You are welcome

i have installed norton 2008 yesterday and i had updated it with everything on and as per to make it secure i also did virus scan but that time it didnt gave any virus attention yes but that scan was with the network cable plugged in and it was in normal mode
    Well i guess this is the beauty of running anti virus in a safe mode there are no much function working the background and secondly if the virus is coming from the network to your computer for that reason nihil told you to remove the network cable

any ways best of luck
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi larren, and thank you for responding, it is only by knowing what works and what doesn't that we can improve our support skills?

What sort of network are you connected to?

A lot of this stuff infects through network connections, which is why KK and myself are concerned.

Thanks for the support Anti Onliners

i am connected to a workgroup of 7 computers with the help of the router

Yes Mr Ric-o has the point i have connected my USB drive to the computer which i have used in a virus infected computer 1 day before my computer got spoiled

and i think that is whats a problem here

now what should i do for protecting my removable drive

Hi larren,

I am guessing that your USB drive is one of those small pocketable devices that are also called "thumb drives", "pen drives" or "flash drives".

If that is the case you really need one with a tiny switch that makes it read only....... a bit like the switch on a 3.5" floppy. Set it to read only so that when you insert it in an infected machine you will get an "unable to write to" message.

Otherwise you want one with password protection software. When you insert that, nothing will happen other than that the PC will detect it. As soon as anything (like a virus) tries to write to it, you will be asked for the password.

My third method is very crude. I have an old 64Mb drive that I would insert first. It has nothing on it apart from a "canary" ( that is a fake set of executables to act as virus bait) so I just check available space, the size of the "canary" and the content. If something magically appears or the available space goes down, I know that I am on an infected PC.

If your drive is actually a proper external hard drive, then just use a thumb/pen drive as I have suggested to test the machine, and make sure that the drive is password protected.

None of these methods is foolproof, but they will defeat most malware of this type.

When you return to your own PC be sure to scan your drive for malware first.

EDIT: The term "canary" comes from the old days when miners would take a canary with them to check for poisonous gases in the mine.
    Last edited by nihil; June 8th, 2008 at 08:47 AM.

Mr. Nihil,

but when we connect a new USB drive to the computer anti virus package does scan the removable disk (why was it not able to search the virus in the removable disk)

and the methods which you are showed are nice onces only the last one was very much confusing

and there is one more problem which has come across after this setups and installation

my folder option has gone away from the folder>tools>folderoptions

and it has also not there in the control panel

and all my hidden files have turned visible

why has this happen any solution