Thread: shadow copy of a harddisk on a lan party

shadow copy of a harddisk on a lan party

Goodmorning all,
    I have heard of people who can make a shadow copy of you harddisk during a lan party(cod4)
    They said it can be done without you knowing.
    Can this be done with a software firewall running on my pc(Ashampo firewall pro)?

Grtz and thanks
    Last edited by HotSpot; June 8th, 2008 at 05:46 AM.

I am not sure of the mechanics of what you are describing but I would suggest that firewalls are not particularly sophisticated.

Typically they allow or deny access but do not take account of the purpose of that access.

Presumably you have had to open some port(s) to participate in the lan party, so you have allowed access.

As a quick guess I would suggest file and folder encryption would be a possible solution?

Quote nihil:

Presumably you have had to open some port(s) to participate in the lan party, so you have allowed access.
    Yeah the ones used for the game nihil,but i was wondering if the firewall would recognice the traffic thats made,started by the one trying to copy you hard disk(monitor local packets in expert-mode only)?
    Last edited by nihil; June 9th, 2008 at 08:46 AM.

I don't know, but I guess it depends on how sophisticated your firewall is? I would imagine that all that is happening is that your files and folders are being read. I don't understand how this is done without file sharing enabled?

I guess I would look at:

1. Virtual machine
    2. Virtual Sandbox
    3. Password protect folders/files
    4. Encryption

It is hard to say without knowing how this shadow image is being created.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if you can't afford a second LAN Party only PC, then get a second HDD
    load an OS and the game ONLY

so IF there IS a way, they will only be able to 'grab' what they already have
    I would change the OS license number too, if you can, in case that is a target ...........

and as it's a LAN Party, and they used to be full of thieving swine, screw the case shut to physically protect assets too

mind you that WAS in the days of £1 per MB, so a MASSIVE 128 MB cost £128 [$250]

nowadays you can get Crucial DDR2 512 MB 4200 for £6, so maybe the impetus isn't there
    but some swine will nick anything

edit
    and Hot~
    if you need to quote from another post
    add quote at the start of the C+P section, then add /quote at the end
    remember to enclose quote and /quote in the [] brackets
    Last edited by foxyloxley; June 8th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

He foxyloxley.

I have a lan party pc only.......so no files or folders to protect....but i simply don t one to get it without asking!And i don t know if it stil can misused for anything?(connection passwords,game passwords etc.)

The copy/paste thing yeah maybe not the right way but i think everyone understands?If not sorry.Thx and grtz.

Ways that people are going to get a copy of your files at a LAN party:

1) They scour the shares you have available and take all the files. This translates into a copy of the HDD if you've shared the root of the drive. Proper file sharing is going to prevent this (i.e. don't have open shares, don't share the root of the drive).

2) A username/password for an account with admin access is known. Then they could access c$ (or any other drive root) even if it isn't shared. This comes back to not sharing your password / not using a easily guessed password.

3) You are away from your computer for an extended period of time (leaving it unlocked).

4) You are away form your computer for an extended period of time (and they have ghost or something similar).

There's no "magical", I can dump all your files ability. As long as you're patched and take proper security precautions there's nothing they are going to get.

Hey guys and gals,
    I did some asking around,and they told me it can be done with a carrefully crafted trojan,embedded in a mod/map you download during the lan party.
    Even with a software firewall installed many people will think this is normal when your firewall starts warning you,since the trojan will have the name of the mod/map you download.When the av starts warning they tell them its ok to ignore the file or you cant play with us.This will not work with most Antionline people(lol)Grtz HotSpot and thx for all the re.