Vista business with Onyx, any problems?

Thread: Vista business with Onyx, any problems?

Vista business with Onyx, any problems?

We're upgrading our computer which runs Productionhouse only. Onyx suggested vista business. I've heard a lot of bad things about vista and I'm wondering if anybody uses it for Production house. Please don't reply if you don't.

Hello Makelahelp, and welcome to AO.

Firstly, I do not use Production House myself, but I know what it does. I am posting in my capacity as a moderator to try to get you a prompt answer

1. By "upgrading" what do you mean? If you are buying a new computer then you should have no problems with Vista......... just make sure you have plenty of RAM, a good graphics card(s) and at least a dual core processor.

2. Also, what else is being upgraded or not? Printers, scanners and other legacy peripheral devices are likely to be your problem, as they may not have Vista drivers?

3. Take a look at Vista Ultimate............ I assume that this is a professional installation so the small additional cost won't matter?

I'm replying cause you asked me not to
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hello Makelahelp, and welcome to AO.

Firstly, I do not use Production House myself, but I know what it does. I am posting in my capacity as a moderator to try to get you a prompt answer

1. By "upgrading" what do you mean? If you are buying a new computer then you should have no problems with Vista......... just make sure you have plenty of RAM, a good graphics card(s) and at least a dual core processor.

2. Also, what else is being upgraded or not? Printers, scanners and other legacy peripheral devices are likely to be your problem, as they may not have Vista drivers?

3. Take a look at Vista Ultimate............ I assume that this is a professional installation so the small additional cost won't matter?
    Thank you. We're getting a new computer with the latest and greatest 3 drives 2 quad core xeons 8 gigs of ram. But can you tell me why so many people complain about vista and what are the hick-ups that come with it. All of our large formatted printers have the newest firmware updates. And why's ultimate vista better? Again thank you.

We migrated to vista fairly early on, so I'm replying to tell you about the hick-ups we experienced in general. Most of the annoying problems that we had were fixed with a simple Bios update for our motherboards. We had all kinds of network related issues before this was done: network drives disconnecting, not being able to connect to a shared drive hosted on the vista machines, etc. Besides that, we run a handfull of applications that are no longer being developed. Because of this, there are several problems since these programs were made long before Vista was a reality. If your planning on running anything not certified for Vista, make sure you test it prior to buying a Vista production machine for it. We were able to get our apps running with only a few minor problems (display issues, menu's not showing in the right places, etc).
    Hope some of this helps you.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Hi Makelahelp,

As I mentioned, I don't use that software. My experience has been supporting high end engineering design packages, but I would suggest that the principles are similar.

If Onyx say that Vista Business is the way to go, then it is............. I have never had bad advice from reputable applications providers, it is just not in their interests to do such a thing?

The concerns that I would personally have on your behalf would be your legacy peripherals. I would suggest that you contact their manufacturers regarding this.

I have no idea of your setup but I would suggest that if you have any problems you could resolve them through your print server. It won't care what operating systems are in use, it will just process print files that are passed to it?

As for Vista Ultimate, it is the top of the range, but you probably don't need it for what you are doing. Again, I would emphasise that I would go with your software supplier's recommendations.

But can you tell me why so many people complain about vista and what are the hick-ups that come with it.
    Well, I am sorry to sound like an old fart (but I do have the qualifications) but people just like complaining?

1. They complained about Windows 95
    2. They complained about Windows 98
    3. They complained about Windows Millennium Edition
    4. They complained about Windows XP
    5. They are complaining about Vista

I guess that Windows 98SE, NT 4.0 SP6a and 2000 were successes?

OK, I have only tried two instances of Vista Home Premium, which I deliberately installed on 5 year old technology, but I have not had any real issues so far.

One thing that I would suggest is that you look at the Onyx site and for any user group websites and ask your questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    If Onyx say that Vista Business is the way to go, then it is............. I have never had bad advice from reputable applications providers, it is just not in their interests to do such a thing?
    nihil:

Come on now, You've never dealt with ProE, AutoDesk? IBM or Microsoft?

What high end engineering design packages do you use?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0