Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malicious Spyware

Banned
    Of course if Windows wasn't such a POS, it would have put the user first and set the policy by default so that 3rd parties couldn't change settings without your permission. Nothing like a secure OS.
    The sad thing is, I don't even think you're aware of how extremely silly that comment was.

Well,

Apart from the bit of adware, the infections seem to be restricted to temporary java zipped files.

I am not sure what would launch them?

It also looks like you have a rather old version of java? You really do need to keep your browser and applications up to date as well as your operating system.

Try this:

<Start>
    <Settings>
    <Control Panel>
    <Java>
    <Temporary Internet Files>*
    <Settings>
    <Delete Files>

* Might be called "cache" in your version?

Get CCleaner and run it after each internet session.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then re-run your scanners in safe mode.
    Last edited by nihil; June 25th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

Nihil, thank you so much for the instruction! I'll do that now and re-run Kaspersky tonight after everyone's in bed. I know I need to do a better job of this - four kids and four parttime jobs....

OK Jennifer, we are slowly getting there.

You should go here and get the latest Java Runtime Environment:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

After you have installed it, just follow the steps that I gave you earlier and on the last screen (where you can delete files) look at the top left corner. There is a little box that says "keep temporary files on my computer"............. make sure that it isn't checked. That will disable the Java cache, so bad stuff can't hide there.

I would suggest that you download the following (free) applications:

1. A-Squared:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

2. Spybot S & D:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

3. AdAware

http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

4. SpywareBlaster

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Download, update, reboot and run them in safe mode, apart from #4, which is not a scanner, just install it and update.

In Spybot S & D take the "immunize" option as that will activate the interactive protection.

Hey Nihil! Slowly would be the operative word here. Every minute I spend on this, someone is not getting their nose wiped....

I found the Java cache and cleared it (boy is Java odd), I did have the latest version according to Java's verify tool, but I had to go around my elbow to get to my rear to find the control panel -- AND, it's not listed on my programs at all. Anyway, after I cleared the cache and ran Kaspersky again, all the same threats were still there, no difference.

I'm gonna work on your instructions today and I'll let you know as soon as I've made some progress.

You're a great help! Thank you so very much!!

Hi Jennifer,

"The joys of parenthood eh?"

Sorry about the Java, I should have thought. When you get into control panel go to the left hand taskbar and select "classic view" then it will display as an icon, just click there again to switch it back when you are done.

Please take a look and see if the cache has stayed cleared. Also make sure that the keeping temporary files box is unchecked. If they have returned then delete them again.

I am not too sure of how the demo version of Kaspersky works. Was that a new report or a cumulative one, and did it show the malware as being in the same location?

The first tool I suggest you run is CCleaner. That will clear a lot of temporary garbage. Then run the Registry Scan option and let it kill orphan entries. That is a pile of blue cube icons in the left hand toolbar. Run the other tools as suggested and see what they find; please make a note of the names as this may help later

Please let us know how you get on.

Good Luck!

Talking Thanks everyone!!

Looks like I'm cleaned up now!! Kaspersky was the winner, the only one that found it and cleaned it, although the files that were infected had to be deleted. HOWEVER - the newest version that is available for trial makes the OS painfully (take a pill and wait) slow. I had to download the previous version (7.0.0.125) as per Kaspersky's advice, and then delete the newer one. Their support site says that their people on working on that problem with the new one...) Now I'm running just at normal slow speed.

Do I need to start a new thread? - I need help with getting Norton off and replacing it with Kaspersky - if that's the right thing to do. Problem is, Norton doesn't show anywhere in my system except in the firewall - it says that it is up to date and running and I can't figure out how to make any changes to the virus protection.

Download this:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Do not run it yet

Which Kaspersky product do you have, the Internet Security suite or just the antivirus?

If it is the AV then you will need to get a firewall as well.

Try the free version of ZoneAlarm:

http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Fi...-10039884.html

Download but don't install it.

Disconnect from the internet
    Uninstall Norton
    Install firewall (if needed)

Hey nihil!

Okay - I have the Kaspersky AV, not the full suite. So, I need a different product for my firewall. When I say firewall, I mean Security Center. There are three things listed when I go into start/control panel/security center. Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Anti-virus Protection. All three show "on". The Firewall says that "at least one of the firewalls installed is protecting your computer" and warns that more than one can present a conflict. The Anti-virus Protection says the same thing. I need some help to fix both. As of last night, Norton still showed running as anti-virus, so I guess Kaspersky continues to make changes after installation.

I'm downloading the files you suggested now, I'll run the Norton removal and let you know what the Security Center shows afterwards.
    By the way, thank you so much. I hope I'm still making sense, or at least starting to...
    Last edited by jenniferdoes; June 30th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

I just noticed that ZoneAlarm is for DSL or cable-connected internet, I have dial-up (yes, it still exists for those of us who live in the deep dark woods), will that matter?