Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Threat named AntivirusXP

Unhappy Threat named AntivirusXP

Hi Everybody,

Well yesterday I struck with a trojan called by the alias AntivirusXP. What this virus did was changed my desktop background and maybe my screensaver and a weird note appeared on my desktop that my pc is infected with spyware, etc....

I'm running MS Windows Vista Premium Home SP1 on a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop and need to use Internet banking and other sensitive websites on regular basis.. this threat had made me panic and am now afraid to using my pc anymore.... I have Avast Antivirus Home installed on my pc...

Please help me out

Ok here is a link to 1 of many websites that gives an explaination of how to fix this particuar annoyance (If your uneasy about the steps or not real sure of what your doing.. you may want to consult a professional)

http://www.zimbio.com/Spyware/articl...+Removal+Guide

I've removed this particular piece of CRA* from numerous peoples computers its pretty easy to remove just follow the steps outlined. good luck
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

Thanks! I searched everywhere for a solution.

Props to Mox firstly. However, I would add another step....the 2k9 version renames itself something random (gibberish characters) in a program files folder. Copy the name of this folder, then delete it. Then search the registry for the random characters you copied to remove registry traces. This one is spreading like wild fire.

AOs Resident Troll
    Have seen several of these infectionsin the last couple of weeks....and different variants too

used this

Free to clean...buy to monitor

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

remember to disable system restore..then reenable when done

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Talking AntivirusXP fixed by consulting Microsoft Help Center But....

Many thanks for helping me...

Yesterday night I went to the microsoft help center and after few minutes of chat their Agent took control of my pc through some desktop sharing program.

He then did the necessary procedure while requested me to do the required clicks on the "Continue" buttons while he performed the steps on my pc. I was really impressed by the way he remotely fixed my pc. In the end, he asked me to create a new administrator account telling that my previous account has got corrupt.

Finally after getting my pc fixed I restarted and found a Blue screen that said that kernel32.dll was missing. And the pc kept on restarting with the same blue screen message at the end.

Well, I kinda remember that the agent modified my kernel32.dll file to be renamed as kernel32.dll.old and therefore suppose that maybe renaming or replacing it might fix the problem.

I boot my pc from a Live CD of Backtrack Linux and saw that my suspicion was correct. kernel32.dll was missing from C:/windows/system32 folder and there was just kernel32.dll.old.

Please suggest me what should I do? Is it wise to rename the kernel32.dll.old to kernel32.dll ? or Should I search for the file in Internet and paste it there?

Thank you

Prince

*facepalm*

Back up your data to an external hard drive then format/reinstall. Cheers.

Dear Keezel,

How do we re-install windows on a laptop. I didn't got any Windows CD with my HP Pavilion dv6000. There is however a recovery disk but I've never run it in my pc.

Regards

Prince

AOs Resident Troll
    I suggest you hire someone that can backup your data ...and reinstall your OS.

Best of luck

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You can use nLite to create a Windows CD from your HP recovery disk.

Please read this tutorial:

http://antionline.com/showthread.php...light=recovery

For your immediate problem go here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_restart.htm

You need to scroll down a bit but you are told how to reinstall kernel32.dll from the CD/recovery console.