Hey everyone!

I have been trying to get answers on dd-wrt's forum, dd-wrt is the 3rd party firmware I am loading on my wrt54g v8 router... and it seems no one there knows about my issue, let alone as even encountered it themselves.

So I am following the tutorial for my version router with all the correct firmwares downloaded.

First I hold the reset button and put the router in firmware reset mode... I use the GUI interface as instructed to load the vworkskiller firmware.. this will allow you to load a custom firmware on the router. This part goes without a hitch (or so I believe)

Then I come to the point where I TFTP into the essentialy blank router, the vworkskiller firmware providing tftp access..

I have my computer setup with a static IP, hardwired to LAN port 1 on the router. As instructed.

Now, here is where I run into problems.

I go to tftp the new firmware to the router, I was running on my macbook at the time.

tftp -e 192.168.1.1
>put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
error code 2: Access violation.

I search dd-wrt wiki, old forums, and new forums... there isnt even a database of troubleshooting with common errors. SO I post on the forums my anguish, following the sticky post as to how I have to post to get results... and i get none.

I have been googling.. but the best I can come up with is "Refer to your manufacture's documentation for further information about your error codes".. straight from a cisco PDF about tftp error codes..

So here is my thought process with what i know about tftp
TFTP does not use user authentication.
I have tried some other variants of the tftp command.

put dd*blah /dd*blah
put " /tftpboot/blah
put " /boot/blah

in an attempt to see if the directory in witch I am tftp'ing into is just not writeable.

I have tried this on multiple operating systems.. xp.. vista.. osx tiger, slackware 10.... same error

I have made the binary completely writeable and readable... chmod 777...

I have tired running tftp as an administrator, super user, regular user, no permissions user.

I have no way to find out the file structure on the router and I can not seem to find proper documentation for my step of flashing the router. there is plenty of info AFTER i get dd-wrt on there.. and BEFORE i get the vworkskiller firmware uploaded.. but the middle road between is one big mystery that seems to work for most everyone except me (haha)

One thing I have been considering is I may have the version of my router incorrect.
From what I can tell I have a version 8..

v8 and v8.2 are simple to flash.. v8.1 has a unique method.. I had found a website which I can not locate again for the life of me that explained the differences between v8, 8.1 and 8.2... I would bet money mine was v8 but I would like to double check.

So really where I want to get started is to have someone that knows about TFTP explain why someone could recieve Error code 2: Access Violation and how to fix that issue.

I am still heavily browsing the dd-wrt forums and hoping a fish will bite my Thread (Ha!) but Im not holding my breath.

Thanks for any input in advance! and I hope the AO Community is doing well!