June 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
a costly mess
I have purchased an MSI 8800 GT OC edition and have run it pretty fine on my intel 915GAV motherboard, 512 mb ram, p4 3 ghz intel and an 80 gb hdd on win xp.
I recently upgraded the system and the new setup is:
MSI P7N SLI Platinum motherboard, 2 gb ocz 800 mhz RAM, intel p8400 core 2 duo processer, 320 gb sata drive.
After much teething trouble, I have finally been able to install the card. However a minor disaster striked when i tried assasin's creed. The system hanged after an obscene show of wierd graphics. The screenschots are uploaded here
I unstalled older drivers, and updated the latest drivers. Before doing that I even cleaned my system with driver cleaner. I Also tried running the system on minimal resources (disabling startup services)
The problem is still here and I am tearing my hair. I dont wish to send the hardware for replacement before trying all possible solutions.
Last edited by chizra; June 27th, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
June 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Your link won't work because you need to be a member of that site to display attachments.
1. Does it work normally for other computing tasks?
2. Does it play other games OK?
3. What happens if you set the performance to lower resolution, colours, and refresh rate?
4. When you "upgraded" did you upgrade the PSU?
5. What operating system is the new machine booting?
July 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
apologies, i was out for a conference. MY answers in bold.
1. Does it work normally for other computing tasks? Yes
2. Does it play other games OK? Yes, Most of. Lately the problem has started in Medal of Honor Airborne, Gears of War and Assasin's Creed.
3. What happens if you set the performance to lower resolution, colours, and refresh rate? Doesnt help.
4. When you "upgraded" did you upgrade the PSU? The PSU i assume is Power Supply Unit. Since this a 500w Antec PSU. I thought this is enough so didnt upgrade.
5. What operating system is the new machine booting? XP Prof, SP3
July 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
OK, from the work that you have already done and your answers.
1. & 2. That would seem to rule out any problem with the MoBo's graphics slot.
2. & 3. That would suggest that it isn't a resource issue peculiar to a particular game. I am assuming that those three games don't use the same "engine"?
4. 500W should be quite adequate, and Antec are pretty reputable.
5. I am not aware of any particular gaming issues with XP Pro SP3.
Can you give me more details of the problems you had, there might be a clue there.
After much teething trouble, I have finally been able to install the card.
1. Can you try with a different video card. It doesn't have to be anything like as good, just so long as it works. I want to see if you still get the artefacts/scrambled images in those particular games.
2. Can you run a RAM test. I think that Memtest86 will work with that memory? My thinking is that those games might want to use a part of your RAM that is defective (don't worry, that make is guaranteed for life)
Just download it for free............ the "pay for" is the same thing only shipped to you on a CD
3. Can you check and see if there is a more recent BIOS/firmware for your motherboard.
By Liquid_Darkness in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: August 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
By SDK in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: July 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM
By pctwister in forum *nix Security Discussions
Last Post: May 21st, 2003, 12:02 PM
By pctwister in forum Roll Call
Last Post: May 19th, 2003, 05:29 AM
By Hadoob024 in forum Newbie Security Questions
Last Post: September 17th, 2002, 07:38 AM