Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AVG 8 OMG!

Having investigated further, I have found the "legitimate" solution.

Open the AVG user interface.

<Tools>
    <Advanced Settings>
    <Link Scanner>

Just uncheck all the boxes.

<Apply>

If you go along this route, the AVG icon in the system tray will always show an error/alert condition, so you will need to check that this is not because you are unprotected for some reason.

EDIT: The product recommended by C:\Saw looks good. As he says it isn't an AV but looks to be a good complement to one. In particular it will run on anything from Windows 3.11 upwards, so it must be light on resource.
    Last edited by nihil; June 29th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Dude, you people are supposed to be well versed in the arts and sciences of IT!

And from where I come, the I in IT stands for "improvise".

Assuming you haven't deleted the download yet, redownload the avg8.0 installer like always. Then, rename the executable something short and easily remembered (like avg8.exe or something), unless you enjoy typing in underscores and version numbers, lol. Then, put the newly-renamed installer in the root directory or very close to it, so you won't have to change directories too much.

Open a command prompt, cd to the directory avg8.exe is in, and in the prompt, type this (EDIT: I renamed to avg8.exe, and put it in root of C: because I'm lazy, so your command may look slightly different):

c:\avg8.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

This will install avg8 like normal, except without that stupid linkscanner. This also means that you won't be stuck with that tiny error taskbar icon all the time. Just install and update as normal.

You're welcome.
    Last edited by NukEvil; June 29th, 2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm well I have to put AVG on a neighbours PC tonight.

Was going to go AVG.

And I will use that command , thanks nuk.

If it bombs the 98 Pc im coming back to you.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmm - nice find. I never even thought about installing from a command line. I'll look further into command line switches.

Cider, don't waste your time, it won't work.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-...s-free-edition

Nothing prior to Windows 2000 is supported.

I never even thought about installing from a command line.
    Neither would I, unless other methods of installation failed, when it can be most effective.

If you look around your software installations you will find that you don't actually own much of it. By far the majority of it is licenced; even open source is licenced.

Now, the installation package is the property of the supplier and you are licenced to use it in accordance with the way it works out of the box. So, if there are installation options within the installation package you can use them, if there are not, then you violate the EULA by adding them.

On the other hand, once the software is installed on your machine it is pretty much open season. It is your PC, and you decide what runs on it or not. If you wish to disable activities and functionality that is your prerogative. If the software doesn't work as a result, that is their prerogative.

Obviously, your mileage will vary depending upon the specific EULA and the law in your part of the World.

Naturally, this only applies if you wish to remain legitimate. If you are into piracy, warez and cracks, it is totally irrelevant.

So what can I put ono this 98 machine?

Its dead slow so something simple. Also they are on dialup ....
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Avast! (Me 'earties )

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Supports Windows 95 through Vista 64bit

It will work for 60 days but all you have to do is register on their site and they will send you a free 1 year registration code, which you can renew.

Ok - thanks Nihil.

It isnt going to slow the pc down will it?
    Albert Einstein

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Having investigated further, I have found the "legitimate" solution.

Open the AVG user interface.

<Tools>
    <Advanced Settings>
    <Link Scanner>

Just uncheck all the boxes.

<Apply>

If you go along this route, the AVG icon in the system tray will always show an error/alert condition, so you will need to check that this is not because you are unprotected for some reason.
    **** This only worked on my paid for AVG, not AVG free!

You can also, in the overview section, right click the link scanner and disable the monitoring of the component.

This causes AVG to report OK on everything else when everything is OK, or alert if anything other than the link scanner needs attention.

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by steve.milner; June 30th, 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Suggestion only works for bought & paid for AVG, not AVG free
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Thanks for that Steve............... useful to know!

Cider, well yes it will, in that it is an interactive resource user and is set to scan stuff?

However, if it will run under Windows 95, it cannot be that bad? It is really a question of RAM at this level?

What are the specs of this box? in particular:

1. Onboard or independent video chipset.
    2. Amount of RAM
    3. Processor

Like Windows 95 boxes typically shipped with 16Mb of RAM and worked a hell of a lot better with 32Mb, but, if you went up to 64Mb you got less of an improvement, but a worthwhile one nonetheless.

The video is important, because in those days the memory wasn't "shared", it was "stolen" and the system couldn't use it, if you had onboard memory.

Make sure that you use CCleaner and defrag it as well?